Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS v6 owners check this out

mcbogans

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
mmm... i had same problem with my statesman. it only seemed to happen when i had driven it for a short time, stopped the car then started it again, eg. going down to shops then coming home again. alternator light was coming on whenever it happened. took it too the mechanic and it turned out the crank angle sensor was rooted. so might wanna check that out as well if anyone else has similar problems

S-Pac_Sam

Constantly Sideways!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore S V6 Manual
this is a great thread. checked mine, its seems ok heres a pic (95 VS 208000kms)

Attachments

• IMG_8762.JPG
    IMG_8762.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 767
  • IMG_8765.JPG
    IMG_8765.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 829
  • IMG_8766.JPG
    IMG_8766.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 725

dontsailbackwards

I didn't do it
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais V6 '94
Common on all of them. There's be no harm in replacing or at least paralleling an extra thick-gauge wire - the originals are woefully inadequete. Don't forget good insualtion - I'm gunna run one in flexible conjute. I measured a .55 volt drop from the alternator to the battery with everythig switched on. Poop.

JohnniieeVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S pack Series 2
thanks for the tip off man, will check it out and let u know

nado69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
mmm this happened to me :p luckily i wasnt to far from home :)

Hytes

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VS Berlina S1
Alternator died about 12 months ago (176 000 klms), same problems, no dashlights, no anything. Put in a reco alternator myself, no problems since.

willowVS

WiLlOwVS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive
cheers m8, i betta hav a squiz

anarky

Reaction score
Website
www.anarky.tk
Members Ride
In transition from a Magna to a VN S pac
check if they are rubbing anywhere. also check ur cdi packs.

Sorry for the delay forgot all about it but I'm due for another long trip and when I thought about the problem and discussing it with a friend, she tonight suggested taking it into a sparky and check the coil packs like you suggested.

The fuel consumption problem has been found but not rectified: a tune up and crank angle sensors being dirty, dodgy.

The exhaust has been replaced, Lucas 2.5" single muffler sports system, catalytic back.

The oil seal was fixed.

The knocking in the front was due to the left hand link rod being loose as a goose. $100 later I had them BOTH replaced, rides more smoothly now.

I'll have a tune up and whatnot and hopefully she should drive like a dream again.

I'm sitting sweet at 147,000kms and the alternator wiring looks strong as hell. I will keep my eyes on it though throughout it's lifetime though.

>anarky - Will keep you posted.

acclaim

Reaction score
starting problems

V6 1997 VSII. Intermittent fault.During start all ignition lights on ,turn key to start but no cranking. Start engine by removing start relay in engine bay and use jumper wire across terminals to engage starter. Have previously replaced ignition switch and lock barrel. Any ideas ?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
V6 1997 VSII. Intermittent fault.During start all ignition lights on ,turn key to start but no cranking. Start engine by removing start relay in engine bay and use jumper wire across terminals to engage starter. Have previously replaced ignition switch and lock barrel. Any ideas ?

maybe try swapping the starter relay with another one to see if it's a faulty relay