Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS v6 owners check this out

aa23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
V6 1997 VSII. Intermittent fault.During start all ignition lights on ,turn key to start but no cranking. Start engine by removing start relay in engine bay and use jumper wire across terminals to engage starter. Have previously replaced ignition switch and lock barrel. Any ideas ?
What about a new start relay? You remove that part, jump the terminals and it works, so that's what i'd look at.

acclaim

Reaction score
What about a new start relay? You remove that part, jump the terminals and it works, so that's what i'd look at.

swapped the relay wiyh another. fault has reoccurred.

Gaskell

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS equipe
I just bought a 1996 VS commodore equipe for $2000 with a few faults. Got it almost a week ago.

Fault 1:
Sometimes (about 10% - 20%) it would not start. Put key in, turn key to all lights on dash come on, turn to start and all dash lights turn off. No sound nothing. Other times, whirr whirr whirr whirr VROOM.
Found it was the key. The battery in the key had died so could not use buttons on it. Replaced the key head for about $100 and never had the problem since.

Fault 2:
Passenger window would not work (electric). Checked inside the door panel and found it had been disconnected so I reconnected it. Still nothing.
Lifted out the switch, popped out the buttons for front and back. Unsoldered the resistor and LED, tipped it upside down to get the loose copper plates without losing them, popped the bottom off and looked at the connectors. OMG so corroded and dirty, filed them back (slightly), applied a nice amount of fresh solder, then reassembled and bingo!

never know this might help someone else.

ANYWAY...
checked the nut on the wire and what do you know, it was loose. People that post threads like this rule!:thumbsup: :bow: :clapping:

So now I'm :driving: with stylez!

StatoLuv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman S1
mmm... i had same problem with my statesman. it only seemed to happen when i had driven it for a short time, stopped the car then started it again, eg. going down to shops then coming home again. alternator light was coming on whenever it happened. took it too the mechanic and it turned out the crank angle sensor was rooted. so might wanna check that out as well if anyone else has similar problems

How much that sting ya? Think I have the same problem with my Stato :bang:

Last edited:

caroline

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore executive wagon
Hi, can someone help me with a problem i have with my VS. the problem sounds the same as everyone elses VS, but there is nothing wrong with my battery. its also done 168,000kms. It cranks over, but wont start, and when it stops it STOPS, of course right in the middle of the road, with other cars behind me.
PLEASE HELP. Im ready to kick in every panel on the VS
:bang: :bang: :bang: :cry: :cry: :cry:

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
hey champ, check out this link http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=30557

will give u details on how to check fault codes n other stuff that can go wrong.. check ur codes, maybe something has fail n its logged.. best to start there

do a quick search maybe also

failing the above, can u give us a few more ideas on ur problem, like does it only stop when its hot? does it crank over? or it doesnt crank at all?

could be a range of things :)

hope this points u in the right direction.

Cheers

vsiicalais

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 VF SV6 Storm
i had the same problem a year ago on my car, found out later on, the mechanic who had been working on the car only a few hrs b4 hadnt tightened it properly but of course i couldnt prove it, only problem was i couldnt get car fixed that day as it was late afternoon on a sat. if it wasnt for him it would be fine. only cost me $33- to fix tho :)

crazywog

XR6 TURBO KING
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 TURBO she needs a tissue achoo
i had the same problem and went to holden and asked to get a bigger size alternator put on so they did ever since then ihad no problems. was driving home 1 night everything was dimming hard i had no power watso eva was driving home with 40 ks down prinni hwy afta work :( not a good idia having to push her home in peak hr traffic so i calld the toey and got it toed home then calld my mechanic and told him he came to my place had a look and said ur alternators gone next day went to holden and got it changed and checked, with the 1 size bigger then the original.

pattey21

patey21
Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 executive vs s2 3.8
diff trouble

i own a manual t5 vs thats got serious trouble with the diff i believe anyway. it vibrates when accelerating up2 80kph and clunks when going up gears. anyway im wondering is it possible to put in a auto diff into a manual vs (less likely to have been thrashed) and if so what needs to be done to fit it.
any help would be much appreciated
regards
patrick