Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS v6 owners check this out

nugatory

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S1 Station Wagon
i own a manual t5 vs thats got serious trouble with the diff i believe anyway. it vibrates when accelerating up2 80kph and clunks when going up gears. anyway im wondering is it possible to put in a auto diff into a manual vs (less likely to have been thrashed) and if so what needs to be done to fit it.
any help would be much appreciated
regards
patrick

HI Pattey, it sounds like universal joints or something in the tailshaft, unless you can hear something itself coming from the diff. Universal's and tailshafts will knock around quite a fair bit through gears if there's something wrong there.

------

In regards to the original post, Would a super heavy duty fuse help here? e.g. whack in a good 60-100A fuse in the alternator charge wire, or would it still burn out the car if it touched the body?

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
My first guess is the centre bearing and rubber mount.
My diff has 350 k on it and has quite a bit of lash which you can hear if you dont take the clutch up smooth but as long as you treat it right it isnt a issue...open diffs (autos or manual are all the same to fit) arent much dough anyway.

Last edited:

willypinch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 1996 BERLINA
check the shaft nut on the alternator.take off the power lead and the nut is behind it it is the one that comes loose, the shaft then vibrates and creates a fluctuating charge which burns out the wire and the power unit on the back of the alternator.then all hell breaks loose with your electronics.

MT269U

[LOLIFE]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore
what the hell are we talking bout

VSIIBerlina

Reaction score
I have had similar symptoms with this in my VSII Berlina. Have had to replace two batteries since I bought it (Had the Car 4 years) its got 155K on the clock - spose its better to goto an Auto Electrician rather than somewhere like Motors (our Holden service centre in Tassie)?

jarrad_87

commy = giant balls
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 and vl 88
yeah same thing happend to me but in my vr commy had bout 180,000 kms on it.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
As for the original post, Current draw from the alternator is the only thing that will burn a wire. It would be interesting to know about all the people who have had trouble, if they do alot of night driving with the lights on alot or have spot lights or other high current drawing things like very large stereos or even a hard to start cars, or using the battery alot when the engine is not started. e.g. listening to radio all day while at work ect.. then requiring alot of charge to replenish the battery. I would think cars in these category's would be of a higher risk of having this wire burnt.

harryhou

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
hi
just purchased a vr series 2 commodore, the person i got it off had only driven the car once a week for last 3 months, i was diffuclt to start it at first but it started. Once i got it home it wouldnt start, i left if for a while and came back and it started. i let the battery charge over night with a charger,but there was not much change in the morning. i figured then it must be the alternator so i replaced it with a recod vp commodore unit
i had got off a freind. i figured that would have fixed the problem, but if i leave the car sit for few hous after driving it it takes more than 7sencds to start, but if i only leave it for little while it fine, but when i drive the car at night after using the lights one i turn it off and try turn it back on it wont even crank over. also my engine light comes on from time to time and goes away

i was wondering if anyone know what it could be,this would be greatly appreciated as i am out of idea what wrong with it

thanks

Niggadore

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Caprice V8. 1996 Proton satria.
This happend to me not too long ago, i was washing the car at a self serve carwash, finished up and went to start, the thing just had no give, i couldn't find out what was wrong with it at all :eek:
Then i called the brother down and he knew straight away =] lucky it didn't flame up like some of you guys have experianced....

*matnkirst06*

*CommodoreFreakPurp*!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS series II commodore excecutive
ok well my Vs has over 200,000?? and it hasnt happened yet that i know of but my earth wire did keep disconnecting from the battery n the whole car had no power not even to start... im just curious is that the same thing? everything has gone wrong with this car i recently bought it umm 5 months now ive owned it and it has............
blown the gear box..
needs new exhaust system been held up by metalwire bracket thing's
the earth wire cuts off on its own...
i have a bad oil leak...
need new springs n shocks mine are no good...
i have chromed rims that are faker then **** n have rotted my brand new tires in 5 months i just bought 4 new low profilers costing an arm and a leg..
and now im up for a new central locking boot lock's door lock's ignition barrel al coz sumbastard stole my keys!..
so is this bad luck in 5 months?? or is this the car itself? i owned a vn n thought id up grade bad move i guess