Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS v6 owners check this out

leolass

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina '95
WOW thanks for the info, I will go and have a look too. I was just about to post about the same issue.
this has happened to me twice in the last week, prior to that the alternator died so I got another one and since then the stalling has been happening. its like it runs out of petrol, chug chug then pfft dead! I have been lucky (or its a dif prob) but after waiting 15 mins or so it will re start. I was told by the lovely young men that helped push me from the middle of the intersection that if the leads are starting to break down this will happen also. I know was told the coil will probably need replacing when I bought the car.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
The clunking will most likely be your sway bar link pushing its way through the mounting point on the stut. This is common and what happens is that the quality of metal used on both the metal washers and the sway bar link (stablink) are rather poor and over time the stablink pushes its way through the washer allowing the stablink to move up and down through the mount point on the strut. I'll London to a brick that this is your issue.

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Statesman, 2013 VE II SV6 Thunder Ute.
I'm about two days late for this :( just happened to me 500km from home. Cable barley holding by a couple of copper wires. Ended up blowing my alternator just at My driveway. Luckily I've got a couple of spare alternators at home.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
You are lucky mate engine fires are nasty.

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Statesman, 2013 VE II SV6 Thunder Ute.
You are lucky mate engine fires are nasty.

Tell me about it! Nearly burnt my car down in the garage because I forgot to disconnect the battery when I was working on the starter motor. Made contact with positive and negative, car cranked cooked the battery and the 60 amp main fuse. Smoke was everywhere. The battery terminals glowed bright red. Put them out straight away while my mate disconnected stuff. Had he not been there, car would have burnt down. Burnt the whole wiring loom. Not fun.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Brendoandbree

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II Statesman
Thanks heaps Markovr! Battery, car wouldn't start then Imfound this post. Stripped the wire back and sure enough it was burnt out!
Champ!!

LSBIAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim S2 ASV Signature
Ah sweet, thanks for the info. I shall be checking out my car soon then for this issue. I have been having troubles with batteries and electrical stuff so this might be my answer. Mad as, thanks heaps. :)

LTEK4NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE Omega My10 V6 6Speed
just read the first few pages and the last page of this thread and didn't see an answer to the fault. My knowledge of this fault is that the charging line from the alternator to the battery has a shoddy factory set up. I had this fault and pulled the alternator through to the battery apart. found there was no split spring washer on the alternator terminal connection. and the crimping on the wiring was shockingly done. replaced burnt wire with same gauge did a solid crimp on the connections and added a split spring washer. fixed it right up.

YZF600RinOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS : Yamaha FZR 1000 : Yamaha YZF 600 R
I was wondering why I had voltage drop between the Alt and the batt. So had a geez into the black wiring case and found that someone had for reasons unknown had cut and soldered/taped on a smaller wire !
I've removed the entire wire and replaced with 0 gauge. (Might do the big 3)