Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS v6 owners check this out

boostin94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Berlina
i think this happend to me, then when i tried to fix it, i put the alternator back on and went to connect the battery and sparks, and smoke started flying!?!? HELP!

kacie_21

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Commodore Executive
Hi, I just had a new alternator/ starter motor placed in my 96 VS executive, befor finding this post. Is this something the mechanics would of checked when they put the new one in? It takes a bit to kick over n still doing it after The new parts installed? Normally I have to turn lights/ air con everything off otherwise she doesn't want to turn over?(occasionally she will with em on) Is this possibly related to the alternator wire? We use the car to drive to n from the airport mainly n don't want it dyin on us hour outta of town. Any help much appreciated

adam10_1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore S2 Ute Manual
This happened to me last night on the side of a mountain, in torrential rain. The wire wasnt lose it just burnt out, lucky for me i have a pair of pliers and some lecky tape,

Mannaged to do a roadside fix, i saw the lights dimming and pulled over at a servo and checked the battery and the water was low in it, so i topped it up and thought thats that. But after about 30 mins the lights really dimmed (having the window defroster on full blast, the windscreen wipers on full and high beam)

I turned around and headed back down, and stopped somewhere where i had phone reception, by this time battery had completely died, sat there for about an hour waiting for a mate to bring out a new battery and remembered this post, so i checked the wire and fair enough and completely melted through the big gauge wire,

I cut the wire down and connected the the lug ring back on and was all fine after then (funny thing is i have a volt gauge and didnt even think to turn it on to check as it is quite bright and is a distraction)

all in all 2 hours in the rain, freezing cold and alone on the side of a mountain is not fun!!!

side note, the nut holding the wire in was that tight it took alot of force to undo.

Low Esteem S2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Esteem Wagon S2 V6
Thanks for that Markovr ! Its also added to a puzzling picture I am putting together in regards to the VS Ecotecs' electrical system woes . That other day I was driving my Dads VS S1 with approx 260k on it . It has factory dual fuel and we always thought it just didn't like starting on gas when cold,so petrol start ups are the norm.
When the engine is hot no problemo !
During a very sluggish midday start at the shops,obviously warm,smoke came from under the bonnet from the small earth wire from Negative on the battery to the guard ,which became an element ! RACQ came out and disconnected it and it turned over with much gusto. He said he recalls being told by head office nearly 15 years ago to be aware that the ecotec had a problem called " Backfeed ".I sort of grasped what he kind of meant to be Voltage leaking through Earth due to inadequate supply of Earth or something like that . I'm trying to find out more as it is a genuine electrical phenomena . Anyway the car drove but the taco was bouncing up and down. If anyone knows more please go easy as this merely a mention of my quest to know more .

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

Low Esteem S2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Esteem Wagon S2 V6
Cool thanks,another prob my dads 96 had was a lead from the battery to the inner front guard fried red hot and burned whilst trying to kick it over.RACQ came out and got it going,however,he was perplexed at first,but,having worked for them for many years had a slight recollection about a problem that was told to him about called " backfeed". within electrical system. It supposedly is an electrical phenomenon,even in 240 volt etc.Just this ring a bell for anyone ? Cheers for heads up on alt prob too

ADSVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Great thread! Thank you for sharing such an important piece of information.

Checked mine, not lose and no visible burn marks or corrosion with 85,000 kms on the clock.

Me been the cautious person I am though I'm now looking at prevention. Good idea to go see an auto electrician? Get a better wire installed? or is this a simple enough DIY fix? I'm pretty handy but never messed about with that kind of wiring before.

Connected2u

Reaction score
Members Ride
Statesman
hey people i have a vs statesman about 200 thousand kms what grade oil should i use ?

Last edited: