Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS v6 owners check this out

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I have just fixed 2 VS's lately with the same problem .....flat battery and car stops on them and leaves them in the middle of nowhere.Both phoned up the local racq for assistance and had to be tilt-trayed home.Both cars had about 175 k on the clock.
At the back of the alternator on a ecotec v6 on the drivers side is a heavy red wire that is responsible for charging the battery. The lug on this wire gets a loose connection heats up bad and eventually breaks off, leaving a unprotected 12v feed to move around the metal of the engine behind the alternator looking for a earth to set the engine on fire....if you're unlucky.
To see it properly you have to take the plastic engine cover off but that is only 4 x 10mm head nuts and look at the back of the alternator.
There is a rubber cover over the terminal.
Both cars had burnt this wire back for about 10 cms ...so all I had to do is strip the wire back to where the wire was good and barrel lug a new wire with the right 5/16 hole lug on the end of it. Easy fix but not if you are a fair way from home.

aa23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Thanks for th info. I'd better go take a look.

2_SeeK_U

Wheels on the bus go round and round...
Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
I'd REALLY suggest getting this checked, my car has 110,000 on the clock and it had to be tilt-trayed to my auto-elec to get a new alternator fitted, l ended up getting an aftermarket one that produced more amps and had a better life then the factory one.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
S'pose most of the kids here are flat out knowing what a alternator looks like!

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Pretty common failure on vs & up
Cheers Rob

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'm checking mine tomorrow - thanks markover for the tip. Regards Denis

C

clinker1212

The alternator in my VS has been replaced- first sign was a flat battery. Same simptons though. I think another factory one was fitted so I will keep an eye out on it.

Is there anysmall measure aside from upgrading the alternator that I can do to prevent such a problem

CAFA_TF

Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VS v6 3.8, 76 LX and VT SS gen3
ive been shiftly lookin at my alternator i had the jumpers on the battery for 30 min to jump the car with a new battery
still the original one at 160 though

john_g_82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Vacationer
Yeah it happened to me. Was driving along, engine stopped, no dash lights, no nothing. Was sitting in car calling brother to get picked up and noticed a small amount of smoke coming out from under the bonet. Jumped out and opened the bonnet and traced the smoke to the back of the alternator and inside the alternator there was small flame. Had a bottle of water in the car and tipped over to put the flame out. (Water was the only thing i had). The car had to be towed to auto elec. for new alternator and a new battery cos it got fried. Had no problems with the alternator since.

John