Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V6 Peformance upgrades for p plater

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Diff, trans and remote tune is probably the best for a P-Plater.

How will making a car into something he is no longer licensed to drive be the best thing for him? I'd suggest you rethink your advice :bang:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
How will making a car into something he is no longer licensed to drive be the best thing for him? I'd suggest you rethink your advice :bang:
I was under the impression that ANY tune other than the standard tune will render the car unroadworthy because it doesn't comply to the original pollution outputs/standards/requirements. Any alterations to the tune mean that the car 'should' be tested by the EPA and engineered from what I can tell.

I know that in reality it'd probably never be a problem though. Insurance companies would be my concern though if you ever had a crash.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS

Suggestion noted and appropriately ignored. Old mate can do what he likes with the advice, I'm not his dad nor do I care to be.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Don't take this the wrong way but we get these questions a lot.

Best bet is to just learn to drive, a stock standard V6 commodore has enough power to get you into trouble.

Learn to service it, look after it etc.

Having P plates on your car will make you a cop magnet, may as well get used to it. If they find anything that doesn't look right just means they will pick on you even more.

If you're still keen for some mods then check out the MACE website. They have some bolt on mods which work reasonably well.

I'd stay away from lowering and loud exhausts which are just asking for you to be pulled over.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
If you're talking to me then, yeah I know. It just doesn't bother me like it does some of you guys. People are going to mod whether they should or not, I'm always happy to help especially given there's enough grumpy fluffs around to cover the bits I couldn't give a **** about.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
I was under the impression that ANY tune other than the standard tune will render the car unroadworthy because it doesn't comply to the original pollution outputs/standards/requirements. Any alterations to the tune mean that the car 'should' be tested by the EPA and engineered from what I can tell.

I know that in reality it'd probably never be a problem though. Insurance companies would be my concern though if you ever had a crash.

Correct - driving a car that doesn't pass emissions is one thing. Driving a car that you are not licensed to drive is something in an entirely different league.

Suggestion noted and appropriately ignored. Old mate can do what he likes with the advice, I'm not his dad nor do I care to be.

So you think that encouraging a person to drive a car that he is no longer licensed to and the flow on effects of lack of insurance coverage in an at fault accident, not to mention legal issues (at any time whilst driving) is good advice??? What a good (not!) bloke you are! The guy wasn't asking you to be his dad, more so some good advice on what to do in his situation.

Don't take this the wrong way but we get these questions a lot.

Best bet is to just learn to drive, a stock standard V6 commodore has enough power to get you into trouble.

Learn to service it, look after it etc.

Having P plates on your car will make you a cop magnet, may as well get used to it. If they find anything that doesn't look right just means they will pick on you even more.

If you're still keen for some mods then check out the MACE website. They have some bolt on mods which keep them employed.

I'd stay away from lowering and loud exhausts which are just asking for you to be pulled over.

^^^ That!

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Your best value for money would be to spend it on a Defensive Driver training course. That will improve your ability to handle your car, help keep out of trouble, avoid accidents, and help you stay alive until you get off your P-Plates and are sufficiently experienced to handle a more powerful car under all conditions.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Encouraging? Lol, you crack me up. Feed the people information, let them make their own choices, immortality delivers his fatherly advice soundly, you could learn from him.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Encouraging? Lol, you crack me up. Feed the people information, let them make their own choices, immortality delivers his fatherly advice soundly, you could learn from him.

I was aiming it at the OP. ^^^^ never been accused of that before :D

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride

Your information omits the potentially life changing (and not in a good way) repercussions of your advice :thumbsup:. Method of delivery aside which you appear to have issue with, which part of my advice is not soundly based?