Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V6 Rocker Cover Gasket Leak.

Fitzy3VSVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive, VY Executive and VE SS-V
Hey ppl I have a VS V6 executive and the rocker cover gasket is leaking oil all over my engine but the car still runs perfectly ok I was wondering how hard it is to replace and what expenses are involved because all the mechanics I go to want like over $80.00 plus to do it so I wanna give it a go my self.
any help will be awesome az.

Thanx
Danny.

POVRTY

building 5L VB TH 400
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm L98 caprice
easy stuff bud. dont pay a machenic 2 do this 1 i dont know what thw gaskets a worth but this is a very simple job. dont forget to degrease the engine when you have finished.

POVRTY

building 5L VB TH 400
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm L98 caprice
see if the bolts are loose first

grigor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive, R31, R33
gaskets

The gaskets are dead simple to fit as the rocker covers have a groove milled in them for the silicone rubber gasket to just drop in.
There are also seals for the rocker cover bolts that should be replaced at the same time.

Fitzy3VSVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive, VY Executive and VE SS-V
Ohh ok kool n thanx for the replys, I think im gonna do it my self but I just wanna no now how to do it n what tools I will need? Ill go buy a gasket and give it a go.
Also does brand or material of the gasket matter any type or brand to get???

Thanx
Danny.

chook231

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 UTE
You can buy new gaskets(but they are re usable , so make sure you really do need new ones first) from holden/repco(about $20), dont really have to get new rocker cover bolt seals.

cheers

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
yep dead easy i had a super bad rocker cover gasket leak in my ute when i bought it changed them never leaked a drop since and had a fairly bad one in my sedan to changed and dosent leak either :)