Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs v6 running rough

nuggetbum

Reaction score
Members Ride
v6 vs series 2 s pack ute
hi everyone... my vs is idling rough... i heard somewhere that putting the top shelf coolant designed for holdens will make this problem disapear.... is this true? what else can i do? any help would be great... :thumbsup:

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
hi everyone... my vs is idling rough... i heard somewhere that putting the top shelf coolant designed for holdens will make this problem disapear.... is this true? what else can i do? any help would be great... :thumbsup:

I don't see how that would change things, but it is a good idea to run the genuine coolant anyway, good insurance for the cooling of the engine, and it lessens corrosion in the radiator and water pump etc.

Try cleaning your throttle body, idle control device, make sure the air filter is clean, check your spark plugs, replace the fuel filter, and also check your leads for resistance, and make sure they are within specifications.

Depending on the mileage, it might also be worth getting the injectors cleaned, but in the mean time you could put some injector cleaner into the fuel tank, and fill up with some quality fuel too.

nuggetbum

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks for that... all makes sense... i replaced the coolant, fuel filter and spark plugs not long ago and it seemed to help... then i had quite a nasty accident and stuffed the front end of the car and the mechanic dudes put the cheap coolant back in... so i just figured this was it... will check out the rest of it anyway... thanks again...

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
If you recently replaced the plugs I would be more suspecious of that area. If you overtighten the plugs, they can crack. Just something to be aware of. What I think it will be is the leads not making a tight contact with the plug heads. When I put new leads in my car, I found I had to slightly crush the connector in the lead, so that it made a really tight fit. Otherwise it kept coming loose. So just push all the plug leads hard on to the spark plugs. You will probably find that one or two of them are sitting a bit loose.

petezor

i like icecream
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS COMMODORE
coil pack? my mates vn was doin that, coilpack was ****ed, was idling and sounded / alot rougher than a 5ltr :S

nuggetbum

Reaction score
Members Ride
fair enough... might seem like a stupid question but is there some way to tell/test if the coil pack is on the way out? i have never had anything to do with that area of an engine...

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
fair enough... might seem like a stupid question but is there some way to tell/test if the coil pack is on the way out? i have never had anything to do with that area of an engine...

You will need a multimeter to check the resistance between the terminals, both on the upper side of the coil pack, and the terminals underneath, which are hidden inside the coil pack itself. The only way to get in there is to poke something conductive in there such as a paperclip, and then touch the multimeter probes onto that. If the resistance is not within specifications, then the coil pack can be determined as faulty, or worn out as such.