Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V6 strange grinding noise.

A

Attakarrak

I have a 1995 VS V6 Commodore and sometimes while im driving it makes a strange grinding noise that only lasts for like less then a second or sometimes at least 1. i dont know wat it is and i cant really hear where its coming from but once i was driving on the main highway into Perth City at about 120km/h when my car done it so i put my foot down more but it still kept making it, it only stoped once i took my foot of the accelerator (my car sometimes also does it when im driving alot slower too like normal speed limit 60 - 90km/h). Can anyone tell me wat it is coz i would not have a clue aye and my car is in great condition and runs ok all the time.

Thanx,
Danny.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
My transmission use to make a grinding noise from the transmission when i sat on about 90kms/hr, especially under load (ie up hill). Any faster and I eventually got the engine light on. Any speed under that she was ok. Got the trans recond and shes been fine ever since.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Try a transmission oil change and new filter initially - you can do this yourself for less than $60 and check the bottom of the oil pan for metal filings etc. It may give you breathing time before you need a new transmission ($1200-2000).
It also may be something else unrelated to the trans like a resonant vibration or the exhaust hitting the body. If the noise comes in at 120 you should be in 4th gear with the torque convertor locked whilst at lower speeds you are in other gears with the torque convertor slipping which seems a bit strange. Good Luck.

dontsailbackwards

I didn't do it
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais V6 '94
My VR V6 Calais has done this - it's probably splippage in the auto &/or lock-up torque converter. watch the tacho next time it happens. try it uphill and see if you can coax it to repeat the behaviour. Check the fault code after the next time the engine light comes on - it will probably tell you the auto is cactus.

Bob129

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
yer, mines does this also, sounds like it is coming from the trans...usually happens at about 80km/h-90km/h, (in overdrive then?) as i start going up a slight incline, i put my foot down and it changes down a gear, and the noise goes away instantly, i assume sumthing is rooted in the overdrive department?

S

Stat

Attakarrak said:
I have a 1995 VS V6 Commodore and sometimes while im driving it makes a strange grinding noise that only lasts for like less then a second or sometimes at least 1. i dont know wat it is and i cant really hear where its coming from but once i was driving on the main highway into Perth City at about 120km/h when my car done it so i put my foot down more but it still kept making it, it only stoped once i took my foot of the accelerator (my car sometimes also does it when im driving alot slower too like normal speed limit 60 - 90km/h). Can anyone tell me wat it is coz i would not have a clue aye and my car is in great condition and runs ok all the time.

Thanx,
Danny.

I find i get the same problem on the bridge into the city heading north into the city

dontsailbackwards

I didn't do it
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais V6 '94
Overdrive clicks in at about 90kmh & I reckon that climbing hills at those revs with overdrive gearing is probably a bit of an 'ask'. I eventually got a fault code-68 (transmission slipping) from the grinding noise and the cruise control has dropped out on a few ocassions. Funny thing is it hasn't done it lately and it feels reasonable around town. I also haven't seen any fault codes lately so I'm goin to persist until the cogs fall out onto the road.

A changedown got rid of the noise in my car - either kick it in the guts or switch to 'power' mode on the trans for climbing hills. I'm sure the grinding isn't good for it.