Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V6 strange grinding noise.

Fitzy3VSVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive, VY Executive and VE SS-V
Hey ppl I have a VS V6 and when im driving my car it sometimes makes a strange grinding noise that lasts like less then half or a second or sometimes up to one.
It happens when i get upto about 85 kms n then when i stop accelerating n slowly drop back to 80kms if i try to slowly accelerate again thats when i hear it.
I feel like i sort of lose a bit of power and most of the time my revs are low when it happens...:ranting:

Also while im here my car also sometimes makes alot of vibrations n noises when i turn a hard right corner or go right around a roundabout, i seem to lose power there too, what is that???

Can someone please help me out
thanx.

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
its weird, a lot of people find cornering kills power ( possibly from fuel pressure loss? )

as for the grinding 85km/hish its like my car, somethings up with the transmission and its "sticking" trying to kick down a gear, either accelerate slower or just pull the stick back to 3rd manually.

as for noises when cornering perhaps the bearings are crying? not really too sure to be honest.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
the noise when your dropping back from 85k/hr could be you converter slipping, although its weird that you say it only last a second or so...as it would normally be constant.

volotre

Reaction score
Members Ride
As often as possible
Sounds like another centre bearing (tailshaft) problem. Could be the rubber sleeve that houses it is rat shite.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Maybe its the engine mounts - especially the rear one which can allow excessive sideways movement of the transmission during cornering. Get underneath and see if you can move the back of the trans sideways by hand.

hsvpgts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II V6 Berlina
does the noise sort of sound like the car is pinging?

Fitzy3VSVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive, VY Executive and VE SS-V
No mate it just sonds like metal hitting metal, just like if something is spinning and its hitting the side of something aye.
haha i wouldnt have a clue wat it is :(

Budah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
engine mounts

hey mate, kinda had the same thing happen with my car, got excessive rattling and vibrations in low revs. Turns out i had an oil leak and the oil + heat had a massive impact on the engine mounts :bang: they turned jelly like and started rubbing metal on metal. if this is so, you'll feel the vibrations coming from near the transmission tunnel in the left side of ur drivers side footwell. tell us how u go:thumbsup:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
the loss of power is probably some sort of vacuum leak. you probably have a split vacuum hose somewhere which opens to cause a vacuum leak during cornering because of the lateral loads applied during cornering. there is a vacuum canister (round looking thingy) under the front passanger guard in front ofthe wheel. start here and trace the vacuum line back from here to the engine etc