Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs v6 to ls1 conversion

Vsskidrig

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs bt1
Hey guys wanna put an ls1 into my vs does anyone know where I can get a conversion kit and home much

OFF T4P

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
383 HSV GTO coupe & vk ls1 turbo
mate the conversion kits out there are not very good. **** does not line up properly. You are by far better off making your own kit up. Heres some of the things you will need. You will need a v8 k frame and powersteering rack from a vn-vs v8. Vn-vs ls1 Tuff mounts (these are the best mounts on the market).TUFF MOUNTS LS1 in VB-VS COMMODORES
You will need a starter motor conversion kit ( not sure which ones are the best as i have not used one in my conversion becuase i went for a turbo setup. do some research befor buying one) Holden VN-VS Commodore have somne stuff that would be handy.
You would need a nice healthy ls1, wiring loom and unlocked computer.
Also you would need to decide which gear box you wanted to use. If you want manaul stick with the six speed if you want auto a turbo 400 would be best. With the ls1 auto you will need to mod the trans tunnel. you would need to find someone to mod youe wiring loom to suit your car. there are a few ppl who do this around (research)
You also need some extractors a few places and doing off the shelf headers now but also have not heard good things about these. Pacemaker have just bought out a set which i think would probably be your best bet. Unless you get some custom ones made up.
There is lots of other stuff you will need also Like brake upgrade, suspension uograde, new tailshaft. the list goes on.
Dont expect any change from 10 grand if you can do alot of the work your self. But it will be worth it.

SENNY

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator LS1
Process of doing mine. Spent lots of coin, still not turning back. Not cheap conversion just to let you know.

OFF T4P

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
hey mate i found this while looking on evil bay. might be worth give him a call as it looks like he as already over come a few of the major problem with this conversion.
LS1 CONVERSION SUIT VN TO VS | eBay

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
mate before u spend any money go over to street commodores forum there a sticky thread over 20 pages full of information about this subject

OFF T4P

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
there is info everywhere on these conversions just use google. research research research thats the key to doing a nice esey trouble free conversion. Take notes and save pictures and links to different threads for references during your build. What i have done is taking all the things that would work best for me from different builds and came up with my own custom plan to suit me. Which is much better then just going out and just buying a conversion kit due to every car may be a bit different in the setups they are running. Some peoples mechanical skills may be different then other and they may not be able to do some things required with these kits (eg modding the extractors from some kits. CAE Kits). Hope that helps. Pick something that will work for you.

Kyle92

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Calais 5.7
mate the conversion kits out there are not very good. **** does not line up properly. You are by far better off making your own kit up. Heres some of the things you will need. You will need a v8 k frame and powersteering rack from a vn-vs v8. Vn-vs ls1 Tuff mounts (these are the best mounts on the market).TUFF MOUNTS LS1 in VB-VS COMMODORES
You will need a starter motor conversion kit ( not sure which ones are the best as i have not used one in my conversion becuase i went for a turbo setup. do some research befor buying one) Holden VN-VS Commodore have somne stuff that would be handy.
You would need a nice healthy ls1, wiring loom and unlocked computer.
Also you would need to decide which gear box you wanted to use. If you want manaul stick with the six speed if you want auto a turbo 400 would be best. With the ls1 auto you will need to mod the trans tunnel. you would need to find someone to mod youe wiring loom to suit your car. there are a few ppl who do this around (research)
You also need some extractors a few places and doing off the shelf headers now but also have not heard good things about these. Pacemaker have just bought out a set which i think would probably be your best bet. Unless you get some custom ones made up.
There is lots of other stuff you will need also Like brake upgrade, suspension uograde, new tailshaft. the list goes on.
Dont expect any change from 10 grand if you can do alot of the work your self. But it will be worth it.
What brakes and suspension tail shaft and diff do u use for this conversion? Can u swapp most of it from vt ss to vs calais?