Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V6 typical trans/drive train shudder

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
hi guys ive read up a lot on the typical trans shudder in the top of 1st before it shifts into second. Seems to be considerably worse with harder acceleration. I haven't discovered what the solution is though. Some get lucky with a trans mount or centre bearing but it seems the issue is generally much more sinister and has to do with geometry of shaft to diff to rear suspension etc. These posts were all quite old so - is there are general rule of what to change now? thinking some bushes in the cradle etc etc? I did read that the problem is generally in IRS cars which is what I'm experiencing thanks in advance guys :)

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
What are your tyres like?

I had some vibrations in mine. Turned out to be the tyres.
First time rear passenger, a few months later rear drivers.

At the time of r/d l was wondering if the front were on there way out too.
Went to Melb. on the freeway. Yes they were out. So replaced them & no vibrations.

Your problem maybe something different.

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
What are your tyres like?

I had some vibrations in mine. Turned out to be the tyres.
First time rear passenger, a few months later rear drivers.

At the time of r/d l was wondering if the front were on there way out too.
Went to Melb. on the freeway. Yes they were out. So replaced them & no vibrations.

Your problem maybe something different.

anything tyre or wheel related is at 80 plus KMS. this is at the top of first before it takes second and worse under harder acceleration cheers for the suggestion

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think you need to either get it up on a hoist or on ramps and inspect the bearing rubber mount. It's fairly easy to tell if the mount is buggard it will show signs of cracking.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I always thought it was more of an issue on the semi-trailing rear suspension design?

If it's a driveline issue I would have a look at the driveshaft first and then check out the rear diff mount, if this is sagging a lot it would throw the rear pinion angle out which could cause a driveline vibration.

I'm also led to believe the problem can lie with the torque converter although I have no personal experience other than our old VS had a strange intermittent vibration I could never track down and the converter was one item I never changed.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Mine vibrated under load and it blew the shaft centre bearing one day, leaving me stranded.