Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V6 UTE Fuel economy 20L/100km PLEASE HELP

altaaf

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
hi guys,

i have a vs 99 v6 ute which has a **** fuel economy...18-21L/100km overall i only get 250-300 km out of 1 tank with premium fuel....
i fixed the earth issue
new oxygen sensor
no error code comes up
i ran efilive v4 to check all the sensors
i was getting +/-1 for oxygen sensor

please help

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
post up a log? have you checked error codes?

altaaf

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
whats a log? im new to this
yes i have done a scan i had code 64 and 74 but after i put new o2 sensor and cleared the code nothing has came up for 2 weeks now...

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
while logging with efilive hit spacebar and this will record, then once you stop you can save the logged data to a file, if you post this up or email it to me pm, i can have a look.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I would be curious. Unload everything except your spare tyre, pump up all your tyres to 38psi, and get out onto the open highway. Fill her up with your choice of fuel. Drive 50km away, turn around, and drive 50km back to the same servo. Fill up and note how much you put in.

This will give you a more accurate idea of how far from "norm" your fuel economy is.

Then you can start working on things like spark lead resistance, spark plugs, old oils and filters, and your heavy right foot. ^_^

altaaf

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
i will do the run on the weekend, it basically has new spark lead, spark plugs, old oils and filters all put in a week ago...
so do fill the tank up to the brim or just up to the first click?
i did a trip on the highway last week i got 430km out of a tank=57L fuel was used
with 150L i got 1197km on open road.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
So on the open road you got 12 to 13 litres per hundred. That's not really TERRIBLE. Is this thing auto or manual? Any modifications? Were you carrying much load?

Don't trust the "litred used" on your trip computer as gospel truth, it can often be inaccurate. Always trust how much fuel you put in at the next servo stop.

You can fill it up to the brim if you want, but I just use first click. So long as you use the same method every time, you'll get a reasonably accurate reading.

If you want to throw a few dollars at the car in the hunt for some more economy, get a new coolant temp sensor (the two-pin sensor if they ask which one), new manifold temp sensor (they're not that dear any more), and a new throttle position switch. Should set you back in the order of $150, which isn't bad since they will probably need replacing at some point anyway.

What sort of oil are you using?

What temperature does your car tend to run it, has a cooler thermostat been fitted? Reducing the running temperature of your car can also adversely affect fuel economy.

I think you could recover most of your fuel economy using good driving habits, like gaining speed on downhills and allowing your car to lose speed on uphills. Coast for as long as possible before a known stopping point, but most importantly just try to keep your engine load consistent.

Keep in mind that any increase in speed above 80kph is going to be exponentially reducing your fuel economy, so if you're belting down the highway at 130kph expect bad results. Air drag is the number one killer of fuel figures.

If you want to get really stuck into it, you can buy tyres with less rolling resistance, fit lighter wheels, lower ratio highway diff gears, throw a good toneau over the ute canopy, and begin to fiddle with undercar air effects if it really interests you.

With a few simple mods I was able to get 8-9 litres per hundred on the highway out of my V8 Statesman, which is a heavier car than your ute.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Example:

MortonVQ_94.jpg

altaaf

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
hey the1 i tried to upload the file but it fails do u want me to email it to you...