Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs v6 very strange rev problem

muzza

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina
hi guys this is a tricky problem i got . ok here goes when i drive my car in the 80 zone to work first thing in morning when the car is cold without changin the accelerator suddenly the revs on the tacho goe up steady to like 4 grand when this happens i just back off the accelerator and it might doe it 2 or 3 times in about a 2 or 3 km stretch then it wont do it again wierd ay also when the revs rise the car doesent go any faster if u no what i mean i have only ever noticed it first thing in the morning when i hit the 80 zone any ideas would b good cheers muz

stockyvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive 5.0L IRS ABS
are you going uphill?
a mate just replaced the box in his vs v6 auto (with a manual), it was neutralising and/or slipping occasionally especially when going uphill. It had done 150000 K's on the original box. But otherwise it drove fine, it wasn't doing it all the time. But don't rip the box out just yet, he didn't have his rebuilt so I don't know exactly what was wrong with it!

muzza

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina
no not really its a very slight slope wouldent call it a hill

muzza

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina
the revs just slowly go up from about 1800 to 4 or 5 grand in a few seconds but the cars speed stays the same is wierd

muzza

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina
i have never seen it do it in the arvo going back home the same way from work it has a chance of warming up a little more before i hit the 80 zone so maybe that narrows it down a bit ? even wierder

muzza

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina
not yet i will check computer 2morrow cheers guys

crazymum10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
Hi,

Just wondering if you ever solved this problem as I am having the same problem with a 2003 VY doing the same thing and mechanics haven't been able to find the problem so far. More often tahn not it happens on a hill but that's not always the case, sometimes it happens soonn after starting the car, other times it's after driving for hours that it occurs. "Check Engine" signal comes up on dash but when the computer was checked no code had logged. Any ideas gratefully received.

(Also note a similar problem in a thread in teh VN section, the thread is call "High rev problem". )

Last edited: