Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V6 Will not start and I have no idea what it could be.

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
hey guys

Went down to the shops today after filling up, when I cam out I started the car and it started but idled low and would not rev , so I turned it off and started it again same thing then it stalled and would not go again, the battery started smoking so NRMA came out to replace the battery though I knew the battery was on its last legs for a while, anyway once the new battery was put in it kept on turning but just won't fire, I have had the car towed home and have no idea what it could be, the NRMA think maybe the fuel pump.

Any Ideas would be appreciated

Thanks

Reaction score
Members Ride
supercharged vt II acclaim
not 100% sure but, ya should be able to hear ya fuel pump switch on with the ignition. and do a error code check thing, wont hurt and might tell ya the answer. theres a post on here how to do it and what the codes are.

as for battery smoking - stuffed if i know, if ya turn it over for too long they heat up and cables smoke. ive seen mine smoke anyway.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
When you first turn the key to the reds, the fuel pump will run for 2 seconds to prime the fuel lines - listen for it then. If the pump isn't running then, you can get someone to thump under the fuel tank with their open palm as you turn the key to the reds....this can sometimes get the pump going.
Can you explain a bit more about the battery smoking....
Is the flashing red immobiliser light going out when you turn the ignition on?

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
NRMA tried thumping it but still didn't go

Car was struggling to start then after about 10 seconds smoke came off the battery, NRMA put a tester on and said it was gone, he replaced the battery and it was cranking fine, just won't fire.

the car has an after market immobilizer, the red security light never blinks, just to two lights from the immobilizer/alarm which when activated wont give u any ignition.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'd be very suspect of the immobiliser....they have a habit of failing after a few years and it only takes a bad joint/loose wiring somewhere to kill the car. Usually they are a pain to remove unless you were the person who installed it.
If smoke came off the battery, my first suggestion would be bad battery terminals/connectors....second would be excessive drain by faulty starter motor. Usually the terminals will only overheat if you crank for a few minutes continually and/or the starter is sluggish and is drawing excessive current. I've never seen a battery smoke...seen melted terminals and glowing red connectors with smoke from the insulation.....but I suppose if it shorted internally it would self-destruct.
Anyways, I hope you can get it sorted as these sort of problems are extremely frustrating!!
Good Luck.

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
I'd be very suspect of the immobiliser....they have a habit of failing after a few years and it only takes a bad joint/loose wiring somewhere to kill the car. Usually they are a pain to remove unless you were the person who installed it.
If smoke came off the battery, my first suggestion would be bad battery terminals/connectors....second would be excessive drain by faulty starter motor. Usually the terminals will only overheat if you crank for a few minutes continually and/or the starter is sluggish and is drawing excessive current. I've never seen a battery smoke...seen melted terminals and glowing red connectors with smoke from the insulation.....but I suppose if it shorted internally it would self-destruct.
Anyways, I hope you can get it sorted as these sort of problems are extremely frustrating!!
Good Luck.

Thanks for the reply, Tomorrow if is not raining I will DC the fuel line and check if fuel is coming up, the car was always was sluggish to start, however when NRMA changed the Battery it never hesitated, if it is the after market immobilizer could it be disconnected?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
If you want to disconnect the immobiliser you really should locate the actual unit in the car and find the brand/model...then do a Google on disarming it....also google "removing after market immobilisers".
The only way to test if the pump is to put a pressure gauge on it which is not easy unless you attach it where the fuelfilter is.....and that means lying on your back under the car getting sprayed with fuel.
If you can get to the wiring at the fuel tank, you can apply +12v to the violet wire and -12v to the black wire...that should make the fuel pump run (if it does) but whilst it will tell if the pump works it will not tell if the pressure is OK (though if it runs the pr is usually OK).
It could also be one of the relays under the bonnet - fuelpump/efi or even the fuel filter.
Also try running the fault codes....you never know what they may show.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/checking-error-codes-vr-vs-revised.22307

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
It isn't the Immobilizer, fuel pump isn't making any noise when turned to reds, so guess will change it and hope.