Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS v61996 commodore series 2 exhaust upgrade, want to make it 'growl'

Jez

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs S2 executive 1996
With today's economical ways, i want to spend the least amount of money but still have a good exhaust system, what part should i change or alter of the exhaust just to increase the sound to a lower grumble or growl, not prepared to put a 'cannon' on the back of a commodore as that can look ridiculous, but how have any of you guys done it, both professional or home made. Cheers

cattz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
When i had a VT Wagon, we put a catback system with no resonator.
It was reasonably quiet cruising around, but barked a little under acceleration.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
V6's dont grumble and growl. They fart and mang.

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
Pacemakers and a 2.5' catback. ;D
'cause pacemakers make ya heart rumble ;D

oh and HI-FLOW cats make most V6's sound like crap IMO, Dads cars goes from rumbling to a rasping in second. its crap.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
A V6 can sound good if you get the right setup.

Just don't try to make it sound like an 8 because you will never get that, V6's have their own sound and can be good if you spend the right amount of money to get there.

I have gone through 5 different systems in 2 years until I found one I was happy with.

Currently running:
Advance Headers (Pacemakers in my opinion are too big for N/A V6's and tend to cause low end power loss and more drone.) > 100 Cell Race Cat (used to be a track car) > 2.5" piping to a single Exhaust Systems Australia muffler. (also make sure to use a nice thick pipe, the stuff lukeys/redbacks etc are shipped with is no thicker than the factory crap)

Minimal drone, nice grumble and you get a nice variation of growls through the rev range and a nice lumpy idle. and the best part was it was only $100 in materials :p

Unlike the Lukey ebay specials that just have a single note for idle and driving (which makes your ears hurt after a while)

Nothing will ever sound as good as a V8/I6 but you can make a V6 have its own sound/presence if you work at it

(P.S this advice coming from someone who has owned multiple V8's and V6's and boxers over the years, not a teen P plater who thinks his V6 is "hektic")

Last edited:

DJ_Cosmic_Fire

smarter not harder
Reaction score
Website
www.house-mixes.com
Members Ride
VP S-Pack Oct '91 - VT SrsII Wagon
With today's economical ways, i want to spend the least amount of money but still have a good exhaust system, what part should i change or alter of the exhaust just to increase the sound to a lower grumble or growl, not prepared to put a 'cannon' on the back of a commodore as that can look ridiculous, but how have any of you guys done it, both professional or home made. Cheers

This custom made 2.5" straight through Sports set up gives a nice note combined with foam tune & CAI :)
attachment.php

Pipes are Stainless Steel custom 2mm wall, Zetti alumised straight through main exhaust muffler & Reso
attachment.php

Stainless Steel 200 Cell Hi Flow Bullet Cat, VT SS Tip & a New Oxy Sensor is good policy for new pipework
attachment.php

Only press bends as mandrels are not needed unless you're racing redline at the track with a blown 6!
attachment.php

Back pressure is minimal & V6's need abit for initial low end torque as the power band is shifted with 2.5"

I'm fitting a set of 1.9:1 HRRR next week plus a 70mm throttle body - these mods will change the note entirely, already sounds sweet & meaty for a 6, main thing is it's so responsive!

Jez

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs S2 executive 1996
Thankyou very much kind sir, great advice:beer chug:

BuckeTs

Carngizusakiss
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs wagon

DJ_Cosmic_Fire

smarter not harder
Reaction score
Website
www.house-mixes.com
Members Ride
VP S-Pack Oct '91 - VT SrsII Wagon
Thankyou very much kind sir, great advice:beer chug:

Cool as! That set up was 500 (mates' rates) but normally would be around 800, eitherways it has settled beautifully & with Tri Y headers the flow is high indeed;) I have bored & polished out a spare intake manifold elbow to port-match the 70mm bored & polished throttle body I have sitting here. The bell mouth has a series of holes strategically drilled after computational simulations (best to keep it fitted to prevent leaning out of the last 2 cylinders & a very rough idle). The latest Greenfoam tune I have has been custom remapped to accommodate for all this increased flow including the 1.9:1 high ratio roller rockers. Idle is mean & response is exceptional, so it takes more than just a sports exhaust to create the V6 growl you wish for & obviously it will never have the roar power note of a properly set up V8 - but this isn't our angle hey :boxing: