Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS v8 5 Litre Oil pressure issues Sump Removal?

joely1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais 5speed
so its pretty certain the the issue is the pickup, im glad that worked for you, but id rather replace it and have some confidence in the car. cheers for ya help
I had this issue when I first picked up my 5.0L VN. Changed oil and no better so I used engine flush and changed the oil. The noisy start and oil light seemed to be fixed only to return in no time at all. People said no to engine flush - but I repeated this 4 times in 6 months and slowly removed all the sludge from the pickup. This avoided removing the sump and now 60,000kms later still going strong. I was told by 1 mechanic that the bearings were gone and it was short motor time.... true!!. 5 oil changes larter and the motor is just fine.

The V8 has a very small pickup for the oil and gets blocked easily.

phear11

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5L Berlina
i would personally try a bottle of oil flush, i had alot of sludge in my motor too when i bought the car which caused some issues and ive done a few flushes now and no issues since! its an easy and cheap fix to try rather than ripping the sump off which you should be able to get off without taking the motor out!

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
Yeah I did one the other week.

But first off, as mentioned above, did you pack the oil pump gears with grease or vasoline? You NEED to do this to prime the pump in order for it to create a vacuum so it starts to pick the oil up....

Now if you have done that then your pick up is blocked like you said..... This is what you need to do....

You can drop the K frame but I chose to unbolt the box from the engine and pull it out and place it on a stand so I could flip it over and clean the engine really well.

Id recommend removing the engine if you have the gear to do it and dont think the K frame is an easier option coz it aint... **** just doesnt line back up as easy when you go to place it back together...Anywhoooooo.....

Once you have taken the sump off, ditch the gasket (as good a sit may look) and go out and buy a GENUINE holden 1 piece sump gasket.... Remove the main cap bolt holding the pick up brace and pick up (2x 10mm bolts) and blow compressed air through the top (where it bolts onto the block) and also give it a few heavy hits on a timber block to remove the stubborn bits.

Drop the pick up in petrol for a while and let it soak, remove it and the blow it out with air again....

Clean the pick up contact area on the unit and the block then bolt up the pick up using the gasket or a small amount of gasket maker.. Not too much because it will just dry up and break off then block up your pick up again...

Replace the gasket on the sump and use a small amount of gasket glue on both sides of the gasket and then bolt down the sump, but take car here as you might tighten it too much and squeeze out the rubber gasket, deform it and it will leak.

Clean the engine while its out (if u have gone this way) and throw it back in... Dont panic if your oil light comes on but the lifter noise has gone away, just drain the oil, replace it and replace the oil pressure switch, or use compressed air to clean the old one.

Good luck

GRPABT1

Jakstas' Warden
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN shitta
^ what he said.

joely1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais 5speed
Thanks for your in depth response.. when priming the pump, do i fill it completely with vaso or grease? like every spare space inside the pump. I think im gonna try use an oil flush first.
Yeah I did one the other week.

But first off, as mentioned above, did you pack the oil pump gears with grease or vasoline? You NEED to do this to prime the pump in order for it to create a vacuum so it starts to pick the oil up....

Now if you have done that then your pick up is blocked like you said..... This is what you need to do....

You can drop the K frame but I chose to unbolt the box from the engine and pull it out and place it on a stand so I could flip it over and clean the engine really well.

Id recommend removing the engine if you have the gear to do it and dont think the K frame is an easier option coz it aint... **** just doesnt line back up as easy when you go to place it back together...Anywhoooooo.....

Once you have taken the sump off, ditch the gasket (as good a sit may look) and go out and buy a GENUINE holden 1 piece sump gasket.... Remove the main cap bolt holding the pick up brace and pick up (2x 10mm bolts) and blow compressed air through the top (where it bolts onto the block) and also give it a few heavy hits on a timber block to remove the stubborn bits.

Drop the pick up in petrol for a while and let it soak, remove it and the blow it out with air again....

Clean the pick up contact area on the unit and the block then bolt up the pick up using the gasket or a small amount of gasket maker.. Not too much because it will just dry up and break off then block up your pick up again...

Replace the gasket on the sump and use a small amount of gasket glue on both sides of the gasket and then bolt down the sump, but take car here as you might tighten it too much and squeeze out the rubber gasket, deform it and it will leak.

Clean the engine while its out (if u have gone this way) and throw it back in... Dont panic if your oil light comes on but the lifter noise has gone away, just drain the oil, replace it and replace the oil pressure switch, or use compressed air to clean the old one.

Good luck

simmons001

I like VS Caprices
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Grange/VS Caprice S1 5.0
Just did this on my VS 5.0 Caprice. It is a big painful job, but it can be done at home.

I used an engine lift, and left the motor in situ. The K frame does need to come off in that case. Agreed, use a GENUINE Holden gasket.
PM if you want details.

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
Yeah you will need to remove the 2x10mm bolts that hold the gear cover on.. just keep packing and packing and packing... When you go to place the pump back on the drive gear will pop out a bit until you turn it by hand and line it up with its key-way. and also, fill the oil filter with oil too, this will also help with the priming..

If you didn't do the above, then there is no way in hell that pump was sending oil through the block, hence the reason why the oil light still came on after changing the pump. It will take about 2 seconds after turning the car on to get pressure...

Trust me, if your pick up is blocked, the engine flush wont to ****... Get into it today so you can have a car to drive on the long weekend....

But id be priming the pump first before spending 8 hours on a pick up clean...

simmons001

I like VS Caprices
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Grange/VS Caprice S1 5.0
I primed the pump with a vacuum cleaner... worked a treat :)

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
if your going to pull engine out to do the pick up i suggest doing your rear main while its out. bit more work but less hassle in the long run