Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs v8 ac compressor

cullensy

Reaction score
Members Ride
uc torana hatch
so my ac compressor has had it, so i went to get a new one and was told there not making them anymore but they are doing one run of them in january $1300 *ucking bit steep for a compressor what else could i get one off id rather a new one instead of forking out for a second hand one then for it to fail on me 6 months down the track??

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Can your old one be rebuilt with new bearings and seals etc... ?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Is it the same Sanden unit like it is on the V6? I can get them a lot cheaper than $1300 and AFAIK they can still be bought.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Any compressor that can be made to fit the engine and piping will work. That's because an air conditioner's cooling ability is based on fluid volume in combination with condenser and evaporator sizes, not so much the compressor itself. Any good aircon place will be able to either adapt something from another vehicle (cheaper) or simply rebuild your current one (cost more).

I'm not sure whether the Holden unit is a reciprocating or rotary compressor but the later type is better if you "MacGyver" something. So give it some consideration as you may be able to save lots by buying some brackets and an easily available compressor.

Last edited:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Plenty out there that have a v-belt, like skylarking said change out the system that's close to yours, just modify the support bracket to fit, grab the hoses that fit the new compressor and take them to a hydraulic place to clamp a joiner to your T valve fitting end, also because its so old replace the condenser and dryer and if your keen replace the evaporator. Or pay to have yours recondition but replace the dryer as its a must.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ plenty aircon businesses out their that will do such.

I've had a mitsubishi compressor put in my toyota cause i had the mitzi compressor and i'm cheap ;) Worked better than the original which like OP was no longer available at a reasonable price :eek: