Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V8 Auto changeover, wont select any gear on fire up?

VNSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5.0L BT1
Put a 9HBD 4L60E auto box, just got it shift kitted in a VS V8 96 BT1 and after finally doing all the bolts, filling it up to get no gear selection at all, dosnt even change engine revs just feels stuck in park/neutral. Anyone kno what i may have overlooked? and what is the recommended trans fluid fill from dry?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
7.9 is the dry change but only applicable if you used a new/reco torque converter. 4.8 is a normal fill.
When you put it together (just before mating to engine) did you instal the TQ into the transmission and make sure the tangs on the TQ engaged with the oil pump at the front of the trans, and then wire it in so it cannot slip out during installation?...if not then the oil pump will not be pumping so no gears. If this is so, keep your fingers crossed that you have not damaged either the TQ or the trans pump as the can happen. Good Luck.

Last edited:

VNSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5.0L BT1
TQ Was deffinately in place and used a shifter bolted to it to hold it in place, was told maybe i should drain it and start again using only 2L then adding a litre going up and down the gears? Ive got no idea and am pretty pissed off, really REALLY dont wanna take the box out again, will be up for sale if i cant get it going :(

DjYalla

Reaction score
Members Ride
battler Vn is Battling
Sounds like you may have broken the pump installing the converter as hako suggested.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
engine off what is the oil level on the dipstick?
now start the engine in park and check the level, has it dropped? if it has dropped then the pump is working and it may just be low on fluid.

DjYalla

Reaction score
Members Ride
battler Vn is Battling
or just crack a cooler line to check at least

VNSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5.0L BT1
Ok so ive come to the conclusion that the pump is broken as i cracked a cooler line and no fluid at all came through. How much do trans mechanics charge to repair the pump??

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
That's bad news - I know how you feel after putting a lot of cash and sweat into a car.
Pull it off before you condemn it - I've seen where removing and reinstalling has worked, but not specifically on Commodores. I'd imagine if the pump is busted it will be expensive, but I'm only guessing.....could also be more damage as well......probably easier to get another box and swap the shift kit.
Good Luck.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
drop the pan first and make sure the filter is fitted firmly, something as simple as it falling out into the pan will result in no fluid being picked up (if it wasn't pressed in hard/far enough)

I've also seen a transmission fail to pickup fluid after fitment (wasn't a commodore trans but same theory, it was dry and had been apart), if the pump is dry with no fluid in/around it to seal it won't pickup any fluid (this is why it's recommended to use the proper trans lube when putting a new box together), if the filter is in correctly then as difficult as this may sound... force fluid down the cooler lines and hope some makes it to the pump to help it prime initially (just easier than pulling the trans out again)