Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs v8 code 41 Electronic Spark Timing (EST) Output Circuit Failure help?

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
Hi all, i have done a search but couldnt find anything.

I have just done a vs v8 to vr v6 conversion. I had the vats disabled and got it going.

Then the check engine light came on, i left it running so i could bleed the coolant and just let it run to let the ecu re tune itself.

I then turned if off so i could check the error code, it was 12 and 41 and 41 reads Electronic Spark Timing (EST) Output Circuit Failure. How can i test that circuit? And where do i start?

It wont restart now. I put a timing light on a couple of different leads and i am now getting 1 flash of spark then no spark while cranking. I put a new rotor button in but i dont think its that.
It is this motor http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vr-vs-holden-commodore-1993-1997/136894-wreck-help.html

Any help appreciated

Cheers Shane

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
41 means no signal in to the PCM. I'd be looking at the Hall sensor in the distributor and it's associated wiring and connectors. Perhaps clear and reconfirm the code first though.

There will be three wires to the sensor: a power wire for the sensor, an earth for the sensor and signal and a signal wire that has power to it but is earthed/open circuited (through the earth wire from the sensor) as the chopper wheel passes through the sensor. A test light will be enough to test that end. Then I would check the PCM end of the signal wire - dressmaker's pin and test light to earth again.

I don't know the wire colours of the top of my head but I think I may have posted them up in other threads on here and Dr Bob's Creative Calibrations site has wiring diagrams. VN-VS are all wired the the same for V8 at the distributor end.

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
couldnt find the problem, so i got a mate who works at holden to look it up in thier workshop manual. he said every time code 41 comes up it was the ignition module, so i swapped it with a known good one. it still came up with the code. i tried the ign module on the car i borrowed the other module from it worked fine.
i then got him to bring the manual home, i read the intro paragragh on code 41 and it said if the circuit is shorted to voltage it will give the code.
so i then remembered the 2 wires that dont colour match between vr and vs, i pulled the eng fuse to cleare the code and swapped the 2 wires around, put the fuse in and know its good.

cheers shane

so i got a mate who works at holden to look it up in thier workshop manual.