Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V8 Intermittant Starting Problem

Scrubmonk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2 V8
I have a 5L VS SeriesII auto, with a cam, foam tune and full twin exhaust.

Never any issue with cold starts. Runs great and never cuts out while driving, economoy and performance is as expected.
But have an ongoing issue with it occasionally not starting after a short run, then after 15 mins or so, it will just go no problems.
- Turns over, just won't fire.
- Checked with Noid light, no injector pulse.
- No spark.
- Checked the fault codes, only gives me a 12 which is normal.
- Ignition module seems OK, not particularly hot when it occurs, tested it with a heat gun to see if it would fault, doesn't happen.

Starter motor, fuel pump and regulator on the alternator are all new.

Thinking maybe Hall Effect Sensor in dizzy, but how can I test it to confirm that is the issue before I go pulling it out and replacing it?

Any Ideas?

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Test light on coil to see if it is switching on and off while cranking?

Scrubmonk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2 V8
Test light on coil to see if it is switching on and off while cranking?

I assume you mean to test for the signal coming in from the dizzy at the ignition module? Trouble is that it only occurs once every few weeks, and usually in the most inconvenient place or worst possible time. I give it 15mins and away it goes again. I will see if I can replicate the fault over the w/end, and test it a bit further.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Check your wiring and connectors, distributor cap, rotor and coil -> distributor lead, re-seat your fuses and relays.

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
This happened to me this morning, same thing.. Just didn't start the about an hour later she went fine.. Now its happened again and the ute is still at the Job...lol.. Couldn't get it going this time...

Scrubmonk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2 V8
This happened to me this morning, same thing.. Just didn't start the about an hour later she went fine.. Now its happened again and the ute is still at the Job...lol.. Couldn't get it going this time...

I didn't have to wait long to replicate the fault, mine died completely last night, and now won't even start when cold. My money is on the ignition module, I will try and get one from the wreckers today and see if that fixes it.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
+1 for ignition module. Could also be the coil, but in my experience they either work or don't work. Ignition module can give intermittent problems before they fail (in fact I think mine is preparing to fail at the moment).

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
Yeah I thought that too, but I have a spare that works on another car just fine and it didn't seem to work....But in saying that the other one is in a 4x4 and these ignition modules don't like vibrations much, so maybe its cactus too?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Could also be the key or whatever the metal ring around where the key goes in is called.

I have had the key replaced twice and that ring replaced once. Symptons were similar, i.e. wouldn't start. Then some indetterminant time later it would. Then would be fine for days or weeks and then do it again.

Scrubmonk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2 V8
Well I did some testing with the multimeter and a good wiring diagram, and came to the conclusion it was the ignition module (hall effect sensor input OK, distributor reference from ign module dead). Got a change over one, fitted it and away it went.
Got as far as the shopping centre, then it wouldn't restart again, not even when cold.
It gets signal from the dizzy to the ignition module, so I don't think it is that. Either the coil itself or dodgey ECU. The saga continues...