Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V8 s3 dash to VS V6 s1?

Brockstato

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 EQUIPE
Sorry all n i hope someone finds this.Im new on here n havent quite sused it yet. Anyway Iv got a 96 vs auto equipe wit the old analogue sort trip n odometer etc. I also have a full dash cluster with harness n trip computer from genuine 96 vs auto clubsport that id like to chuck in for the digital LPkm,Ks till empty,trip, etc etc . Will this all work (trip computer, lcd screens etc)in my v6 with the harness changed or wat do i need to do. Im lost as ive only just begun wit comos Ive got old toys HQs etc.Cheers all

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Welcome mate :) For the dash wiring swap, do a thread search for 'tripin' and 'level 3 cluster' etc. as it's been covered on here many times before.
However, you'd be far better off with a level 3 v6 cluster as the v8 cluster will not read rpm or temp correctly in a v6. With a slight resistor change and a bit of soldering the v8 cluster can be modded to suit a v6, and vice versa, but easier to start with the correct one in my opinion. The level 3 cluster to suit a v6 can be sourced from a statesman, berlina or calais. Also, in a vs, only use a cluster from a vr or vs. If you use one from an earlier vn or vp it'll go 'pop'.
Hope that helps.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Sorry all n i hope someone finds this.Im new on here n havent quite sused it yet. Anyway Iv got a 96 vs auto equipe wit the old analogue sort trip n odometer etc. I also have a full dash cluster with harness n trip computer from genuine 96 vs auto clubsport that id like to chuck in for the digital LPkm,Ks till empty,trip, etc etc . Will this all work (trip computer, lcd screens etc)in my v6 with the harness changed or wat do i need to do. Im lost as ive only just begun wit comos Ive got old toys HQs etc.Cheers all

The Clubsport patch loom will do the job as it has the factory "patch" in the Executive loom (non climate loom). Just swap the dash looms over and plug in the L3 cluster. You will need to swap/convert the tacho to suit the V6 and the temp gauge may read a little out (no more that a few mm)

vscaprice98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs caprice
most gague sets have a v8 and v6 switch on back of em i got a few sets here and all have the switch on em

vscaprice98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs caprice
sorry im wrong there its the fuel tank size when i had a look

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
sorry im wrong there its the fuel tank size when i had a look
Ha ha - been done before a few times now I'd say, so your not alone on that one. :)

The main way to tell is the part number, then the green paint on the back of the temp gauge threads and last is the tacho may have V8 printed on the inside part of PCB. (also the 3 risistor things on the PCB being in different spots)