Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs v8 statesman cam question??

trucko

Reaction score
Members Ride
78 fj40 landcruiser with efi 5l, vy ss ute
hey all, just been thinking about putting a crane 284 cam into my vs 5l stato, and i was wondering if i can put it in with the standard pushrods and valve springs?? lifters have recently been changed to crane anti pump ups..
any help would be appreciated...

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Anti pump up lifters are over kill for a near stock-ish engine. Anti pump up lifters are only needed if you don't know how to stay within rev limit dictated by the cam assuming the rest of the valve train is spec'd properly.

Definitely fit new lifters with a new cam. Push rods will be fine but you would want to consider upgrading the valve springs.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
valvesprings for sure we tested used vn ones at 180000km and they had 30-40lb seat pressure well knackered LOL

trucko

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks for the replys guys, engine has 270k on it so some new springs wouldnt hurt i suppose..lol. im not trying to build big power or anything, only after a bit of street anger with a nice cammy note... it already has a full pacemaker system, chiptorque memcal, and a cai..

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
even a small cam can be choppy 276 kelford hydraulic in fresh 304 before tuning vid with broken map sensor wiring rich and retarded LOL 2200rpm.its the biggest my cam guy suggested running on bananas

Last edited by a moderator:

trucko

Reaction score
Members Ride
well the crane 276 was my second choice. might be a bit more gentle on my ageing valve train and my fuel guage...lol. ive always owned v8's but never a cammed one, just love that choppy sound ;)

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
if your going to fit the new cam definitely fit new lifters and springs, having the cam is going to alter your valve train geometry as you will have more lift causing different wear pattern on your valve tips....so new pushrods should be done too.

Do it once, do it right!

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
even a small cam can be choppy 276 kelford hydraulic in fresh 304 before tuning vid with broken map sensor wiring rich and retarded LOL 2200rpm.its the biggest my cam guy suggested running on bananas
]
my old bog stock 5.0 sounded like that straight off the headers too lol

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
thats full twin 2.5" exhausts exiting at the diff LOL