Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs v8 temp sensor???

vyjess

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy
hi i have vs series 3 5L that starts fine when warm but struggles to start when cold in the last week or two. do these motors have temp sensors that would effect cold start ups if buggerd or could it be something else causing it to struggle to start when cold? cheers

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
yes they do, its on the front of the manifold in a prick of a spot. similar to where they're located on the earlier carby motors (passenger side) hiding under the top radiator hose and the wiring harness, i think its a square plug, push in the retaining wire clip and the connector should come loose, the retaining clip dosen't need to be popped off (something i learnt the hard way):doh:

deanos70

Reaction score
have you checked for error codes

i think the code you will get for a faulty pcm temp sensor is 14

Attachments

• manifold.JPG
    manifold.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 3,489

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Check for a leaky injector/s also, that's a common problem with them struggling to start when left for a while

moff_man

operation HQ under way.
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR II berlina wagon v6, 72 HQ ute 253
weak spark on the 8's will stop them from firing when cold

vyjess

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy
dont have any error codes so i mite change sensor anyway! is there an easy way to check 4 leaky injectors?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Pull the spark plugs after the engine has been sitting for a few hours and check the cylinders with a clean cloth on a piece of wire poked down into the plug holes.Then see if any fuel is on the piece of cloth when you pull it out again.You can just check the plugs themselves but if the piston has stopped at the bottom of the cylinder the plug will not get fuel on it and will be dry still.Make sure the cloth cant come off the wire.It only has to be a small piece of cloth.If it comes off in the cylinder you will have some fun trying to get it out.You can also remove the fuel rail while still leaving it connected to the fuel lines and let it sit over some newspaper for a few hours to see if the injectors are leaking.A lot of stuffing around this way though.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Here you are:

Attachments

• VT1 V8 ECT Sensor.jpg
    VT1 V8 ECT Sensor.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 352