Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V8 to VR V6

Knuckles1960

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz svz
Hi looking for information, or someone who has done this epic job before, I have a v6 statesman in great condition and I also have a SIII VS V8 Caprice in very bad condition, I would like to put the v8 from the Caprice into the VR V6 Statesman. The mechanical side I understand and have swapped over the components necessary, but the wiring I need help, I have removed the v6 and the wiring loom from the VR, the engine wiring loom from the VS is attached to the v8 ready to install, the body harness! do I need to remove all of this from both cars? or can I do bypass surgery without a full removal? Please HELP!

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I’ve done it. But - just sell the vs v8 engine loom and buy a vr v8 loom. The vs plugs in near the brake booster and the vr plugs in near the passenger side strut.

When you say vs s3 do you mean the maf based system (3 pcm plugs) or map (2 pcm plugs)? In any case, just run a 424 pcm from vr v6/v8 and vs v8 prior to dec 98 with the vr loom and have a memcal programmed to suit.

The vs memcal won’t work in the vr without being reflashed with vats off as the security protocol is different.

Knuckles1960

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz svz
Thanks EYY, after reading your response I sourced a VR V8 loom and I have both PCM'S. The vs is 09/98, but in talking to the owner of the vr v8 wiring loom, he still has the complete car very badly damaged, just bodywise though, would I be better just buying the wreck? (if that's possible) and transferring all the necessary bits over, because the main body harness ( plugs in behind brake booster) of the VR v6 statesman and vs v8 caprice seems to have major differences like the ABS, air con and others I can't recall, or were these things you overcame easily