Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs v8 wagon fuel sender position

Mummas boy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Berlina Wagon 5.0
Hi,

This is my first post, I apologise in advance if I've mucked something up!

I have a vs v8 wagon with fuel gauge issues, I've taken it out, tested it and all if fine with the sender. I have also tried another dash and that reads the same.

It will go no higher then 3/4 on the gauge when full, and with 25lts in it is reading dead empty.

I reinstalled the sender and pump unit in the same portion I removed it, but I'm thinking it needs to be rotated one bolt hole towards the passengers side.

At the moment, the wiring plug is facing towards the drivers side on a slightly downward angle. The fuel pipe directly above this comes out pretty much level also towards the drivers side.

I'll try and upload a pic, but they don't seem to be working for me at the moment, or they are upside down.

I have searched but cannot find the correct poition for the unit!

Last edited:

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
If the tank sender is installed correctly into the swirl tank you shouldn't be able to rotate it very far one way or the other (clockwise or anti-clockwise). The wiring plug should be at an upward angle towards the drivers side. The float needs to be on the passenger side at the centre of the fuel tank gauge unit. Refer to the attached diagram. However, note that the diagram is for a sedan. I don't think that the station wagon should be any different, other than the shape of the tank itself.

Attachments

• VS Fuel Tank Gauge Unit.jpg
    VS Fuel Tank Gauge Unit.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 6,303

Mummas boy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Berlina Wagon 5.0
Thanks heaps mate, I'll drain it and try to rotate it and update the post with the result. The diagram helps a lot, makes me think that the float is definitely not on the bottom of the tank, hence the dodgy readings!
Strange thing is the car still runs fine.