Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[308] Vs-Vn 5l 3.8 motor swap

Donke

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn calais
Does anyone know if putting a 5l from a VS(donor car) into a VN(currently V6) will work? Will the K-frame go in or not? etc

Cheers for feedback

Burger43

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Vs Calais SeriesII & Holden VZ SS MY06 6.0L
looking to do the same, if anyone has any more info websites, books etc.. please send em through!
ive talked to plenty of people that tell me its easy enough and i really want to do myself and learn, we all gotta start somewhere right ?! haha

cheers

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
looking to do the same, if anyone has any more info websites, books etc.. please send em through!
ive talked to plenty of people that tell me its easy enough and i really want to do myself and learn, we all gotta start somewhere right ?! haha

cheers
What do you need to know? I'm in the process of converting mine now lol

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
i did a V6 to V8 conversion, but from VS to VS.

as EYY said, im not 100% about VL V8 but VN to VS K-Frame will bolt up.

only things i think* you will need to worry about are: (but i could be wrong unless youre going aftermarket anyways)

- Headers
- Exhaust
- Cluster (i know in the VS i had to use the dash from the V8 donor, cant remember exact reason why, someone will know i thinks its the revs or speed sensor)
- TH700 Auto (only added this because the VN box wasnt elec controlled. but with all the VS gear it should recognise it. with my stato i used a VN box with factory kick down cable, but i modified it to fully manulised)

But from memory

- EFI 5.0
- ECU
- K Frame
- Master cylinder
- Cold air intake
- Engine Loom
- Radiator
- Tail shaft
- V8 accelerator cable

will all slip in.

also when going through the trouble of doing this i would buy all this gear aswell for it

- New engine mounts
- New crossmember mount for the gearbox
- new plugs
- new leads
- New dizzy cap
- Coolant for the radiator
- new Pulley belts
- New Panel Filter
- Flush the radiator
- clean the throttle body out
- Dump the oil and put new gear in
- Service the tranny, can buy tranny service kits if its a auto.

over all, the car came out with the motor, so you arent modding things to fit, it should go in snug

Arryn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz alloyanchor
Hey all new to the forum I’ve got 2 commys a vz ss and a vs with a 5 speed ecotec my girlfriend has now bought herself a car so I’m now going to retire the old girl and give her a heart transplant I’m looking at going for a 304 5 speed I’ve just come across some conversion engine mounts to put in the 304 without removing the v6 k frame and making the job a lot easier and hopefully cheaper I’m wondering if this will affect the car passing blue slip and rego or is it acceptable to do so of course I would upgrade suspension and brakes to accommodate for the heavier 304 setup