Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS-VR - Door Locks - Actuator not locking Driver door - tried almost eveything other than replacing UTE!

Leany76

Reaction score
Members Ride
GLC63s AMG, 66 Impala, 69 C10 LT5/10, 55 Chevy
Hi
I have read most threads here but couldn't find what im lookin for to help me out. There are bits an pieces in other forums, but i think i have a unique case that im sure others have experienced.

Sorry in advance if asked before. Point me the thread if so.

Holden VS2 Ute Bench Seat Colum Auto - nothing special but helps tow my sons go-kart trailer around (LS - turbo soon)

I'll cut to the point ASAP:-
  • Close doors (me outside) press lock button on key fob, locks passenger door only, not driver door
  • Close Doors (me inside), press lock button on key fob, locks passenger door only, not driver door
  • Press to unlock and Passenger Door unlocks, but nothing occurs on the driver side.
  • With Actuator out of door (ie removed from the door lock) plugged in, when you move the green actuator up and down the passenger door unlocks and locks which tells me (i think) that the electrical system is talking to the other door thru the BCM)

What i have done/changed/noted:-
  • New Actuator, same part number, same model, same side (I have read many forums discussion say that it doesn't matter what door actuator i use as its the BCM that works out what door is what)
  • WD40 the locking mechanism - it moves freely
  • Checked the wires going through the door - all wires are wrapped up well
  • Checked the wires inside the door (not rubbing on widow winder mechanism - all good)
  • New key fob and re-programmed, no issues
  • Security light comes on when i lock the ute, and goes off when i unlock the ute. Ute starts no issues
  • Driver door lock did work before

What i have not done/think i need to do next:-
  • Checked the BCM unit under the dash (i have pulled it out to check the plugs on the side - they all look okay
  • Not sure what the wiring does going to the external door handle - i suspect something to do with the dead locking (i don't dead lock the ute ever)
  • Remove Battery terminals?
  • Actuator is from wreckers, it was tested okay. Do i need to buy a new one at $250 plus :-(?

Looking for advise or next directions to check please

Regards

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Have you checked wiring continuity with a multimeter ?

Leany76

Reaction score
Members Ride
Have you checked wiring continuity with a multimeter ?
Cheers woteva
With a multimeter i have not checked this. What's your thoughts on this? My thoughts are wirings is continuous as when actuator plugged in it actuates the passenger door when i push the driver door actuator down.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Try using a test light on the door harness. They only power up momentarily.

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Series II Ute
The harness running between the door and pillar can suffer from rub through inside the rubber boot. The RH door speaker wiring was the casualty in my ute. Try actuating the door and manipulating the harness boot first, then go for a by-pass cable to rule out completely.

Leany76

Reaction score
Members Ride
Try using a test light on the door harness. They only power up momentarily.
Thanks will check this over the weekend when door-card off again and get back to you.

Leany76

Reaction score
Members Ride
The harness running between the door and pillar can suffer from rub through inside the rubber boot. The RH door speaker wiring was the casualty in my ute. Try actuating the door and manipulating the harness boot first, then go for a by-pass cable to rule out completely.
Also will check over weekend and let you know. Cheers

apollo13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE LPG
I second that. I had a work ute that shat itself at 450000 km. The door harness progressively failed, speakers then mirrors then central locking, only the thick wires for power windows survived.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you have some patience the door harness can be removed and replaced with a known working one. I replaced both on my old ute as a PO had butchered them.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs V8 Ute
I had three actuators that I purchased from the wreckers as I have had some issues with the drivers side door of my ute - makes sense as its the only door that gets opened :)

Anyways, the actuator in the door went and then I thought that I would replace it with one of the three that I had. First one failed, second one failed and the THIRD one worked.....couldn't believe that out of the three that I purchased - ONLY one worked...