Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS-VR - Door Locks - Actuator not locking Driver door - tried almost eveything other than replacing UTE!

Leany76

Reaction score
Members Ride
GLC63s AMG, 66 Impala, 69 C10 LT5/10, 55 Chevy
Thanks everyone on this thread. Help was invaluable to nut this issue out.

Update

1. Pulled all the electrical tape off the wires in the door that run through door A Pillar
  2. With Actuator off, checked all 5 wires, the black is ground/neutral/common - all good
  3. Checked the next two pins in the cable plug (orange cables with different coloured stripes - 1.67 volts always (?im guessing this is power to actuate the locks from the passenger side to recognize when driver manually pushes down the button.)
  4. Checked the next 2 (last two pins) Black cables one red, one yellow from memory. Found that Yellow strip ad 14 volts momentarily when pushing key fob, but red strip cable nothing. (red one is unlock and yellow is lock i think)
  5. Checked continuity of this red stripe cable, nothing, (EVEN THOUGHT I had PHYSICALLY bloody checked the cable from start to finish). Must have had copper wires pull apart yet no sign plastic insulation split.
  6. Then proceeded to check the pins in the BCM that feed from the door wires up further under the dash that i presume plug into the BCM. The pins all worked when pushing lock and unlock with momentarily flashing 14 volts. - happy days
  7. Replaced new cable from door actuator to inside car and taped it all up
Everything works as per 1997....lol...well almost.

Turns out was not the actuator, as the old one also works worked.

Cheers

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
I have found door wires can look good but be open circuit. If you cut the wire to find the bad part, it is usually where they flex between the door opening.

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Series II Ute
Good one. Thanks for posting the steps you took and the final outcome.

RWD4ever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS3 ute
I saw a dented driver's door chucked out on verge collection, and grabbed with hope of getting mirror and actuator off it. I found the 3-pin plug for the micro-switch was completely corroded. Obviously water has gotten in over 20+ years. So that is another possibility for door locking issues....

de_overfiend

Beef is Good
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calias
I have a vs calais and i have found that the actual connector where it plugs into the actuator seems to be the culprit. Clean the connector and test it with the actuator plugged in and then hot glue it in place and test again. Went throu 3 actuators before doing this myself. Worth a try :)

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Was about to mention, check the silly little orange cap on the door snib.
Mine used to sometimes be a little bit off and would stop it from going down and locking.

But good thing youve got it working and have a spare.