Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] VS-VY Fuel Line Disconnect

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
As came up in another thread, somebody was wondering how to disconnect the fuel lines on a VT Ecotec. This method works on any car with this style of quick disconnect fitting.

You can make the tool yourself, either with a pen lid, or the nozzle part of a Selleys container, and the method is still the same.

Before i start, i will just say that i take no responsibility for any injury or loss which comes as a result of using this.

Before disconnecting the fuel line, you should follow the approved Holden technique of depressurising the fuel system.

Depressurisation Overview:

Remove fuel pump relay from underbonnet relay centre (located on drivers side of engine bay)
Crank engine and let run until it stops
Crank a further two to three times.

This will take out any pressure in the fuel line and stop you from possibly getting a face full of petrol when you disconnect the coupling

This is the proper tool set:

Air_Conditioning_Fuel_Line_Disconnect_Tool_Set_LISLE_37000.84224509_std.jpg

You get multiple sizes, but you only need one. It shouldnt cost anymore then $10 for a set. I bought a cheap set for home for $8 which only had 3 clips in it.

So. Step one is to get the appropriate size clip.
Fuel01.jpg

Then you want to put the tool over the solid part of the fuel line. (If you dont know where the fuel line is, you probably shouldnt be attempting this :idea:)

You want the smaller part of the tool to be able to go under the collar of the connector.
Fuel02.jpg

There are 4 prongs inside the connector, which is what you're disengaging when you use the clip. To disengage them, push the tool into the connector and wiggle the hose until you feel the clips disengage.

Fuel03.jpg

You may need to push the fuel hose towards the connector while pushing the connector in, depends on the firmness of the clips.

Hope this helps.

Dont forget to click the scales!

Mavericks Choice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV M6, VF2 LS3 Calais V, VZ 6L M6 Crewie
Used these b4 though they can be tricky as well.

Jacko84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina soon to be 5L
good write up mate, good to see if fuel pump is stuffed as i did on my vs, was no fuel

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Thanks for that. It was I who asked about it the other day and you who pulled me out of the ****!

This will be a great reference for anyone wanting to remove an engine or disconnect the fuel lines for any reason.

This was the only thing that was holding us up when removing the engine and tranny, wish I had asked beforehand, but I didn't even look at them or give them a thought until we wanted to disconnect them.
Thanks again...

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Hey, sabbath, I have done regular fuel filter changes along with all the other maintenence. I use a pair of multi grips, a few swear words and some force each time I disconnect the fuel filter lines.
Any idea of where to purchase the proper tool? And you wouldn't have a picture of it would you?
I don't want to stuff these connections, as I reckon they've had about all the multi grip rape they can cop!!!

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Proper tool could possibly be purchased from Holden or even Repco. Although they can be taken off by hand quite simply.

The trick is to hold in the two clips you would normally put the vice grips on, while pushing the connector back towards the filter itself. Then wiggling the hose end and it shoud (should) disconnect. Then the otherside will be much easier to get off.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Proper tool could possibly be purchased from Holden or even Repco. Although they can be taken off by hand quite simply.

The trick is to hold in the two clips you would normally put the vice grips on, while pushing the connector back towards the filter itself. Then wiggling the hose end and it shoud (should) disconnect. Then the otherside will be much easier to get off.

The Bigger trick is make sure you de-pressure the fuel system, I tried and failed, but de-pressured the system, came off no probs in a flash. If not its ALOT harder lol

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Great writeup mate. I like when people add pics.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
The Bigger trick is make sure you de-pressure the fuel system, I tried and failed, but de-pressured the system, came off no probs in a flash. If not its ALOT harder lol

Ha ha, yeh ,I'm guilty of not de-pressurising beforehand! Just slack, but I might take your advice Edals.

sleepinvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
99" vt berlina
cut and double clamp.......and a zip tie or two