Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] VS-VY Pulley Replacement And Lower Mount Replacement

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Hi Guys.

Heres a Little How to on replacing the Idle Pulleys. This was done on the Mrs VX 2001
I am not responsible for anything you do yourself !
You will need a Socket Set, 3 New idle pulleys, Note VS-VY are different in sizes, Be sure to get the correct ones for your car.

Step 1.
Remove the Pulley Belt with 15mm Socket.
1.jpg

After the Belt is removed, To remove the Belt Tensioner pulley, It's LEFT HAND THREAD!

Remove the old pulley, then install in reverse.
2.jpg

Next Remove the next pulley like so, These are normal threaded bolts with a 13mm socket.
3.jpg

4.jpg

Next, Remove the Lower Idle Pulley with 5/8s Socket.
5.jpg

If your Lucky like me, The Shaft Broke off of the pulley mount :/ It was Seized on and light taps with a Mallet it broke the shaft off.
So a quick trip to Cheaper auto spare, Got a New mount & Pulley for $73
First unplug the AC compressor and move the plug to the side, Note there are 2 Cable holders holding the cable to the block, These holders are held with the mount also !
Remove the 3 nuts holding the mount. Marked red is the General spot of them tucked away.

6.jpg

This is it removed showing the bolts in the block.
8.jpg

Clean up the Thread and the Block.
Now for the New mount.

9.jpg

Install this in reverse making sure not to catch the cables to the left of the mount.

10.jpg

Install the new pulley, Now Check all the pulleys, Make sure they spin freely
Now refit the Drive belt.

11.jpg

Check the Belt Tensioner marks to ensure the belt is tight.
As you can see mines on Max Tension, As its a new Belt.
12.jpg

After this, Double check your work, Then start the car, Check over the Pulleys while running to ensure they are all spining and no wobbles or grinding can be heard.

Hope this helps a few people.

Last edited:

johnmw1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Lumina
Hi Guys,

At the risk of reviving a very old thread I have the need of replacing the upper grooved pulley on my VY Commodore as it's squealing like I have never heard before.

I have had this car since new and have just hit the 190K and am still running the original serpentine belt. Having noticed the last picture showing the belt tensioner marks I see my belt is in align with the third mark, so I take it that probably my belt needs replacing soon?

I have been to Holden to get a price on the belt $50.34 and pulley $40.07 but am also wondering what other aftermarket stores offer comparable quality parts at similar or better prices?

Cheers,
John

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Hi Guys,

At the risk of reviving a very old thread I have the need of replacing the upper grooved pulley on my VY Commodore as it's squealing like I have never heard before.

I have had this car since new and have just hit the 190K and am still running the original serpentine belt. Having noticed the last picture showing the belt tensioner marks I see my belt is in align with the third mark, so I take it that probably my belt needs replacing soon?

I have been to Holden to get a price on the belt $50.34 and pulley $40.07 but am also wondering what other aftermarket stores offer comparable quality parts at similar or better prices?

Cheers,
John

Look on ebay. You can buy gates branded belt and pullies. Replace all 3 pullies and belt at the same time. $80 and you're set. Ive never had issues with gates products.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251999462968

Also, don't be too concerned if the tensioner doesn't go back to the first mark even with a new belt. The tensoner will be worn and won't be as tight, so long as its not on the very last mark you'll be fine.

Last edited:

johnmw1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Lumina
Look on ebay. You can buy gates branded belt and pullies. Replace all 3 pullies and belt at the same time. $80 and you're set. Ive never had issues with gates products.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251999462968

Also, don't be too concerned if the tensioner doesn't go back to the first mark even with a new belt. The tensoner will be worn and won't be as tight, so long as its not on the very last mark you'll be fine.

Hi Edals,
Thanks for the reply and apologies with my tardiness in answering, some weeks I just get caught up with work and can't get near my own PC.

I was forced to buy the top pulley the other day before I saw your post as it was screaming so loudly, I just got it from Sprint Auto. The pulley is metal compared to most of the others which appear to be plastic, not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Anyway I will check out Ebay and see what I can find on there.

Again thanks for your help.
John

Alcyone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 2003 V6 Ecotec
You wouldn't know the torque settings for the lower right idler pulley nuts to idler pulley mount bolts? The thread on the bolts is pretty weak, or the whole bolt itself, and I snapped one of the bolts in half tightening to 30Nm. Bought new bolts from Holden and doing them up it feels that they're gonna do the same - like the bolts stretching?

ChocolateCharlie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Executive
I know the original post is getting old but I can't see the images. Can anyone else see them still?

welby

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy 2004executive
Hi Guys.

Heres a Little How to on replacing the Idle Pulleys. This was done on the Mrs VX 2001
I am not responsible for anything you do yourself !
You will need a Socket Set, 3 New idle pulleys, Note VS-VY are different in sizes, Be sure to get the correct ones for your car.

Step 1.
Remove the Pulley Belt with 15mm Socket.
1.jpg

hey just did my idler pulley, and I also broke the mount cos the pulley was seized on,, must be common ..anyway no more high pitch whining .. thanks for the heads up. mark....

After the Belt is removed, To remove the Belt Tensioner pulley, It's LEFT HAND THREAD!

Remove the old pulley, then install in reverse.
2.jpg

Next Remove the next pulley like so, These are normal threaded bolts with a 13mm socket.
3.jpg

4.jpg

Next, Remove the Lower Idle Pulley with 5/8s Socket.
5.jpg

If your Lucky like me, The Shaft Broke off of the pulley mount :/ It was Seized on and light taps with a Mallet it broke the shaft off.
So a quick trip to Cheaper auto spare, Got a New mount & Pulley for $73
First unplug the AC compressor and move the plug to the side, Note there are 2 Cable holders holding the cable to the block, These holders are held with the mount also !
Remove the 3 nuts holding the mount. Marked red is the General spot of them tucked away.

6.jpg

This is it removed showing the bolts in the block.
8.jpg

Clean up the Thread and the Block.
Now for the New mount.

9.jpg

Install this in reverse making sure not to catch the cables to the left of the mount.

10.jpg

Install the new pulley, Now Check all the pulleys, Make sure they spin freely
Now refit the Drive belt.

11.jpg

Check the Belt Tensioner marks to ensure the belt is tight.
As you can see mines on Max Tension, As its a new Belt.
12.jpg

After this, Double check your work, Then start the car, Check over the Pulleys while running to ensure they are all spining and no wobbles or grinding can be heard.

Hope this helps a few people.