Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] VS - VY Series 2 Inlet Manifold Gasket Replacement 6hr+ (Includes Pics)

Hot-Rod

SuPaFlY -LiV3 Surviv3 Di3
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VX Commodore Series 2
Hi, im wonderingwhether i should do this or not. i have a VY series 2 2004, 100,000 km, it has been maintained well and doesnt appear to be leaking however im doing all the hoses and therefore coolant which costs a bit, so im wondering should i be doing this manifold set as well, even though its not leaking? do they all eventually fail or is it lack of maintenance and or earlier models?
thanks

Eventually they will fail. No need to do it if it isn't leaking. The original inlet manifold gaskets are plastic with rubber square seals and rubber seals on the front and rear of the manifold. Over time they change shape, the plastic splits and allows coolant to either leak into the runners or leak out onto the top of the motor. Same with the oil in the engine.

At a minimum I would torque the top manifold bolts that hold the manifold to the engine as they are a weake torque and are prone to coming loose. Bolt up 12 bolts on manifold to 12 - 16 NM Torque. Hope this helps.

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Hey all,
Just figured I'd add my 2 cents. I just did this job today, and started the engine up only to discover I had a coolant leak. Turned out I'd made the silly mistake of not checking the O-ring on the heater outlet pipe. Nearly put me into a panic attack thinking somehow I had a massive coolant leak out of the front of the new seal XD

So anyway, check your O-rings!! Especially that one! It had torn, fortunately I had a couple of spare ones which were the right size.

Thanks again for the write-up, I used it in conjunction with the workshop manual.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Great write up, only thing I would suggest is the need to be aware that with the inlet ports exposed it is possible to accidently drop or place foreign matter or object(s) into the inlet and unless retrieved serious engine damage could result.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais V6
I think he meant inside your engine - usually the Ecotecs that are opened for a gasket replacement are virtually black inside.

I can confirm this. Recently did my inlet manifold gaskets, and it looked like a tar pit.

I can also recommend that when you attempt this, to have decent tools. trying to loosen the bolt for the heater crossover pipe, my cheap'n'nasty spanner kept rounding the nut. Went and borrowed a mates Kincrome spanner and the nut came off straight away. I wasted an hour using the cheapo one.

Punter68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series 1 Executive wagon
Thanks for this thread save me asking the question. Looks like I have an inlet manifold to remove

Schwuppes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais L67 (conversion)
hey guys sorry for digging up this thread, but is the process similar on L67 engines?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Thanks for the guide mate, have to do this next weekend (not looking forward to it but oh well).

How important is it to change the engine oil after the gasket change?

Hot-Rod

SuPaFlY -LiV3 Surviv3 Di3
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VX Commodore Series 2
Thanks for the guide mate, have to do this next weekend (not looking forward to it but oh well).

How important is it to change the engine oil after the gasket change?

As important as you want it to be. If you drop something into the engine and cant retrieve it very important. Better to be safe then sorry.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
As important as you want it to be. If you drop something into the engine and cant retrieve it very important. Better to be safe then sorry.

Thanks mate,

Should I drop the oil once I have reassembled, or should I take it for a drive then drop the oil?

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Take it for a Bit of a drive then dump the oil after 50kms or so just to help flush the crud out. Though in saying that i did not change mine for 8k lol ran out of time after changing them and then worked several weeks straight with no time to change the oil. They have oil filters its what they do lol