Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] VS - VY Series 2 Inlet Manifold Gasket Replacement 6hr+ (Includes Pics)

Discussion in 'Holden Commodore How-To's' started by Hot-Rod, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Drawnnite

Drawnnite Obviously Unsensible

Members Ride:
    2000 Vs Ute
    Just wanted to say good write up and guide.
    did the Manifold gaskets today and did help in a couple of spots when stuck and trying to figure out where to go next on it.
    I did a few things differently (ie didn't have to disco the fuel parts) but it all came out as required.

2. MiKExAUS

MiKExAUS Member

Members Ride:
    VX SS A4 Series II
    can anyone comment on whether the seals (the rubber/plastic bits) that go at the front and back of the valley are different and are made to be specifically for the front or back? When I did my lim gaskets etc yesterday, I noticed the one at the back doesn't sit as nicely in the dowel holes. Thanks

3. Davo_vx

Davo_vx New Member

Members Ride:
    vx executive s2
    Are you able to say exactly what your process for doing this job was apart from what you mentioned.

4. c2105026

c2105026 Active Member

Members Ride:
    2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
    I think I will need to do this soon.

Mayonnaise under oil filler cap, and inside rocker cover, a fair sized oil ooze at the top of the motor.

5. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
    sooner than later

6. Davo_vx

Davo_vx New Member

Members Ride:
    vx executive s2
    I finished this job today, as the op said took just over 6 hours just wondering though my intake manifold the rear ports that line up with rear water ports are completely blocked off with like metal in the ports can anyone tell me is this normal???

7. Davo_vx

Davo_vx New Member

Members Ride:
    vx executive s2
    Yeah so took it for a drive runs all good get home turn it off thought id release the air pressure on the bleeder, now hearing sounds like coolant is leaking but no leak. I am paranoid is leaking into the engine internally now and don't want to start it........anyone that's done the job has this happen to you???????

8. immortality

immortality Home of the smoky breakfast Bacon! Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    Check for coolant loss. When you bleed the coolant system did you run the heater on full hot to get the air out of the heater system? Check the oil too.

Yes, only one coolant port on each head is used for the manifold coolant cross-over. The 2nd unused port on each head tend to fill with crap when the intake gaskets fail but metal? is a bit odd.

9. Davo_vx

Davo_vx New Member

Members Ride:
    vx executive s2
    Cheers for the reply's yeah the back ports on the heads where full of milky **** I meant the back ports on the manifold are blocked off with metal didn't know if that was normal because off there being coolant ports in the back of the head. An only ran the heater on hot when I was filling it up. Went for the drive come home and opened the bleeder and heard what sounded like coolant leaking. The sound didn't start till I opened the bleeder? Surely if it was pissed out internally the car wouldn't have ran well?

10. Davo_vx

Davo_vx New Member

Members Ride:
    vx executive s2
    Also a heap of air coming out at the same time as this leaking sound.

11. immortality

Members Ride:
    You need to run the heater on hot until all the air is bleed out. Sounds like you probably just need to bleed it again and it will be all good.

12. Davo_vx

Davo_vx New Member

Members Ride:
    vx executive s2
    Ok I'll give that a crack hopefully that's what's goin on. So your saying to bleed properly run the car radiator cap on, heater on, bleeder open yeah?

13. immortality

Members Ride:
    Fairly much. I run the engine with the radiator cap off, heater on full hot and bleed screw open till coolant comes out. Once it gets up to temp and the thermostat housing opens the level might drop a bit if there is a fair bit of air in the system. Once that occurs I top up the radiator and then leave it to cool, top up and fit the radiator cap.

Commo Baba and Davo_vx like this.
  14. James Ray

James Ray New Member

Members Ride:
    Equipe
    Looking at buying a 2001 Equipe wagon with 140,000 km. The intake manifold gasket and fuel cover need replacing, and the seller says the car was regularly serviced, including just before the ad went up. The indicative quote over the phone was $480 for labour, but I mistakenly said it was a VH. What variations, if any, to the above procedure should I be aware of? Checking out the specs for the vehicle, it is a GM 3800 Series II Ecotec V6 Engine, naturally aspirated, which doesn't match up with the linked to IMG, so it seems that I'll have to find something else. However I just confirmed with MACE support that it will still work for an aspirated engine.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  15. Clarky57

Clarky57 New Member

Members Ride:
    VY Executive L67 V6 sedan
    I take it the seller means intake manifold gaskets of which there are 2 on the V6 ecotech, these would be the original plastic ones which are notorious for cracking and leaking oil into the coolant and vice versa and the Holden Dealers say should be replaced at 150 k being a 'serviceable item', I fitted the Mace alloy intake manifold gaskets on my VY Commodore and have had no leaks whatsoever since and they would last the life of the engine. 140k's is low for 2001 and $480 sounds about right … what you mean by 'fuel cover' I have no idea:)

16. James Ray

James Ray New Member

Members Ride:
    Equipe
    Yeah, I meant intake, and I've edited that. What does it mean to be a serviceable item? Will they service it at a discount, or just that it's expected to be serviced? By fuel cover I mean the circular door on hinge to top up for fueling, FMI watch this:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  17. James Ray

James Ray New Member

Members Ride:
    Equipe
    Haven't done this, reading some (not all yet) of this post I'm thinking it may be better to get a mechanic to do it, but I'll persevere...

Assuming that's diagram in a manual and/or in the fuse box?

Assuming this is with a ratchet, although I don't know what to crank or how.

Had to look up what these are, it might take a while for me to identify and find them.

I'll check to see when the coolant was last replaced, but if not recently (e.g. last 20k kms) I guess it will be easier to replace it then rather than later, although I'm not sure how often the coolant should be replaced for Holden Commodore VXs—a quick look generally for cars is every 30k to 120k.

Will finish reading later.

18. j_ds_au

j_ds_au New Member

Members Ride:
    VS T4
    Firstly, where the OP states "I could see I had a small leak near cylidner [cylinder] 1 - 3", I suppose that this leakage was happening underneath the gasket, right? (Because otherwise it's too subtle for me to tell from the pictures, if there is visible sign of leakage on the upper face of the gasket.)

Secondly, could a faulty inlet manifold gasket result in loss of coolant without any signs of it in the oil (and vice versa)? Or would this indicate a problem elsewhere, maybe the head gaskets?

Joe.

19. philbio

philbio Member

Members Ride:
    VK + VY Gas Cars
    Just grabbed the "MACE PERFORMANCE INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET KIT TO SUIT HOLDEN ECOTEC" set, should I use RTV sealant around all the ports on the gasket surface as well as the 4 corners? TIA

20. immortality

Members Ride:
    No need, just in the 4 corners where the intake gaskets meet the valley seals. The inlaid rubber seals in the gasket do all the sealing, just make sure the head and manifold faces are clean.