Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] VS - VY Series 2 Inlet Manifold Gasket Replacement 6hr+ (Includes Pics)

inSight

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VX
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. But in regards to the sealant, does the type of sealant matter?

I bought some Permatex Ultra RTV Silicone and was just wondering if this will work for the Intake Manifold gasket and for the thermostat housing. The Permatex website recommends different sealant for the cooling system so I'm not to sure.

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
I used: Loctite 'Gasket Maker' 596.
Says it's sensor-safe and high temperature.
There is also some Japanese on it that has RTV written in Anglo characters.

bonkers99

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs comm exec
Also oil in your resevor bottle on Vt models and up will look milky when checking the level is a early sign that the inlet gasket is going :)

Hot-Rod

SuPaFlY -LiV3 Surviv3 Di3
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VX Commodore Series 2
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. But in regards to the sealant, does the type of sealant matter?

I bought some Permatex Ultra RTV Silicone and was just wondering if this will work for the Intake Manifold gasket and for the thermostat housing. The Permatex website recommends different sealant for the cooling system so I'm not to sure.

Insight. Following the above procedures and at no point should Coolant come in contact with Gasket Maker Silicon. When you open the top of the motor it will make more sense to you. The valleys were coolant runs through are never in contact with gasket maker silicon so no worries. It's how the motor is designed. The gasket maker is only used for the ends of the motor. Any other issues msg.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Bumping an old thread but anyway.

Does the MACE gasket set come with all the other required gaskets, I noticed some kits come with o-rings and the mace one doesn't show them pictured/listed?

Hot-Rod

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VX Commodore Series 2
Bumping an old thread but anyway.

Does the MACE gasket set come with all the other required gaskets, I noticed some kits come with o-rings and the mace one doesn't show them pictured/listed?

When I bought the kit a few years ago now, it didn't have o-rings for the coolant pipes if that's what your talking about.

a1k3m1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II S-Pack 25th Anniversary
is there any need to get some throttle body & plenum gaskets as-well as the intake manifold and thermostat ones? do these need to be pulled apart also?.
Im another victim of the evil oil in the coolant, and am going to have to do this job soon, So ill be using this guide to help me out, Thanks mate!!

Hot-Rod

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VX Commodore Series 2
is there any need to get some throttle body & plenum gaskets as-well as the intake manifold and thermostat ones? do these need to be pulled apart also?.
Im another victim of the evil oil in the coolant, and am going to have to do this job soon, So ill be using this guide to help me out, Thanks mate!!

It depends on how much of a clean job you want to do. If you want to do it all at once I would suggest this:

- New plenum gasket which sits between the plenum lid and plenum (Rubber seal, costs about $30 genuine)
- New rocker cover gasket (Rubber seal, costs about $19 a side genuine)
- Inlet gasket (rubber seal which sits between the upper manifold/plenum and lower manifold/plenum (Rubber seal, costs about $25 genuine, there was an updated design somewhere between the vs and vx due to slight valley grooves to allow air to flow around or something like that so check with supplier for correct one)
- PVC valve (not sure on cost, includes a spring with it, oil sits in it).
- New injector kits (which include new seals etc to refurbish the injectors)
- New thermostat (reason been, has this ever been replaced on your car? You've probably had a new radiator and numerous coolant flushes, this part prevents ur engine from overheating).

Since you will have all this apart I highly recommend giving the inside of the top of the intake/manifold/plenum a good spray with Carby cleaner to clear up all the black gunk build up. This is a very involved job. Start early in the day and make sure you have the whole day free. Once completed the car should be running smoother and better throttle response. I hope this is the info you were after.

Caprice5L

Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VXII Berlina
Just did this last weekend with a mate. Thanks to the OP for the How To.

My VX has done 210,000kms and the gaskets looked like they were stuffed about 60,000kms ago. My symptoms were oil under the radiator cap and running a little rough when cold.

I reused plenum gaskets. Got my LIM gaskets from MACE (thanks to them, great service). Used the BLUE gasket goo from local auto shop. Torque wrench @16Nm on the manifold bolts. And some new coolant.

I also got an 82deg thermostat from MACE and installed that with a new gasket. But i dont think it was worth it. Ill either put the old one back or a new replacement. But thats another story. You dont have to touch the thermostat at all to change LIM gaskets.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Just did this last weekend with a mate. Thanks to the OP for the How To.

My VX has done 210,000kms and the gaskets looked like they were stuffed about 60,000kms ago. My symptoms were oil under the radiator cap and running a little rough when cold.

I reused plenum gaskets. Got my LIM gaskets from MACE (thanks to them, great service). Used the BLUE gasket goo from local auto shop. Torque wrench @16Nm on the manifold bolts. And some new coolant.

I also got an 82deg thermostat from MACE and installed that with a new gasket. But i dont think it was worth it. Ill either put the old one back or a new replacement. But thats another story. You dont have to touch the thermostat at all to change LIM gaskets.

If you don't get a tune to suit the lower temp thermo it is indeed useless.