Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] VS - VY Series 2 Inlet Manifold Gasket Replacement 6hr+ (Includes Pics)

Henrymaher

Reaction score
Can you help me out with a problem I am having with step 9. "Tensioner Pulley Assembly"
2003 VY commodore
Have removed the two nuts, as shown in the picture. I then loosened the left hand side nut and tried to slide the the cylinder out. The end of the metal cylinder is tapered out when it enters the top of the engine.
Can anyone give me some ideas on what to do? DSCN1592.jpg

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
That piece of heater pipe on the same studs for the tensioner needs to come off. Just pull it straight out. Then undo the nuts behind it and pull the tensioner and pipe out together (pull left). You might need to see Holden about some new o-rings for both this pipe and the one that comes out with the tensioner assembly from the manifold.

Henrymaher

Reaction score
That piece of heater pipe on the same studs for the tensioner needs to come off. Just pull it straight out. Then undo the nuts behind it and pull the tensioner and pipe out together (pull left). You might need to see Holden about some new o-rings for both this pipe and the one that comes out with the tensioner assembly from the manifold.

Thank you very much.

roofie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy,vz
I am in the process of replacing the intake manifold gaskets on a 2003 vy, The problem I have is that the pcv valve sits in the lower manifold with a spring on top. The spring protrudes about 6 millimetres from the face of the manifold. The plenum then fits on top of this but is recessed to a depth of about 25 millimetres. There appears to be nothing stopping the spring and pcv valve moving up into the recess. What am I missing?

Hot-Rod

SuPaFlY -LiV3 Surviv3 Di3
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VX Commodore Series 2
Well it's been three years since I did this. Still no issues, no leaks. Mace product is good quality. I see a few people are now doing this, must be the life span of the VT/VX/VY gaskets.

roofie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy,vz
Hi Guys, I recently replaced the intake manifold gaskets on my VY, they were well stuffed, rebuilt the engine and thought that would be it, but the problem of coolant loss hadn't gone away, so that pointed to the head gasket.
I pulled the heads off and sure enough there was burning between two cylinders and there is a water gallery hole in that region. The heads looked OK but not wishing to do the job 3 times, I had them skimmed and new core plugs fitted ( $170 at west coast cylinder heads) Rebuilt the engine, the exhaust manifolds had originally been face to face but there were gaskets supplied in the top end set that I bought so I fitted them and it all works good. Car is running great now, I took my time to do everything and it took 4 hours strip down, 2 hours to clean everything and 6 hours rebuild. I also cleaned and reset the idle control valve on the side of the throttle body and that cured a rough idle problem I have been having.
These are solid engines and easy to work on, I think the crap inlet gaskets cause overheating and that in turn causes head gasket damage.

patto123

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
So to revive an old thread im about to change the inlet manifold gasket on my vx commodore..i have the platinum gaskets set ..it comes with 2 o rings just want to make sure they are for the coolant heater pipes

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
I never took the thing off removing mine.. some people do it the hard way. pcv and something else buddy if I can recall.