Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] VS - VY Series 2 Inlet Manifold Gasket Replacement 6hr+ (Includes Pics)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just grabbed the "MACE PERFORMANCE INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET KIT TO SUIT HOLDEN ECOTEC" set, should I use RTV sealant around all the ports on the gasket surface as well as the 4 corners? TIA
Smear the top side of the gaskets with a tiny bit of oil or RP7. This helps the LIM move into place with fouling the seals on the gaskets.

philbio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK + VY Gas Cars
Thanks Guys, Just another thought, is it worth putting some thread locker / sealer on the manifold bolts?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yes it is a must. The bolts are only torqued to 14nm? which isn't very tight so you need some sort of thread locker on em to stop em coming loose.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ok I'll give that a crack hopefully that's what's goin on. So your saying to bleed properly run the car radiator cap on, heater on, bleeder open yeah?

Best way to bleed them is get a 2L milk container and wrap pvc tape around the thread till fits snug into radiator so you get the coolant above the water line, cut the bottom off first, heater full heat bleeder cracked, just add coolant or water to the container and allow it self to take what it want's to burp it self, once you get a steady stream for a bit do her up. Cant really go wrong putting gaskets on as long as they are on correct, you shouldn't need to slide the top far if you place it right.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Best way to bleed them is get a 2L milk container and wrap pvc tape around the thread till fits snug into radiator so you get the coolant above the water line, temperature full heat bleeder cracked, just add coolant or water to the container and allow it self to take what it want to burp it self, once you get a steady stream for a bit do her up. Cant really go wrong putting gaskets on as long as they are on correct, you shouldn't need to slide the top far if you place it right.

I did it for years without and never had much issue bleeding the old V6 but these days I use one of these and it makes it mess free.
81IGFvaAmOL._SX466_.jpg

I think supercheap sells a copy.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Cant really go wrong putting gaskets on as long as they are on correct, you shouldn't need to slide the top far if you place it right.

The local Holden Stealership uses a smear of oil. Yeah probably don't have too but is does stop any potential for fouling. ;);)

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I did it for years without and never had much issue bleeding the old V6 but these days I use one of these and it makes it mess free.
81IGFvaAmOL._SX466_.jpg

I think supercheap sells a copy.
If your going to do a lot of them then yes but for a one off a milk container cheaper.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm getting old and lazy so mess free is for me and it'll last me for the rest of my life.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The local Holden Stealership uses a smear of oil. Yeah probably don't have too but is does stop any potential for fouling. ;);)
I didn't when I did mine besides I had a few pit marks on my face so I put a smear of RTV where the seal line was just to be sure.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Big T, as a first timer I did what I was advised to do and used it on mine and it was good I did. I didn't get it to land in the exact spot first time. However because I sprayed it with RP7 I was able to move it the 5mm I needed to line the bolt holes up without risk of damaging the gasket. Since this is a good idea and has no adverse affects I recommend it to everyone tackling the job for the first time.