Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs what gearbox/clutch?

Bode88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
hey guys, i was wondering if any one could tell me what kind of clutch/gearbox i have, ive spoken to many people and gotten a qoute but everyone was not 100% sure on what it was, the car is a 1998 series 2 vs ute 5litre, i think it has a getrag box but ive been told they have the dual mass flywheel so when you replace the clutch you have to replace the flywheel as well which cost big $$$ but in my qoute they said only the clutch needs to be replace?? anyone else have any ideas??
Thanks

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual
hey guys, i was wondering if any one could tell me what kind of clutch/gearbox i have, ive spoken to many people and gotten a qoute but everyone was not 100% sure on what it was, the car is a 1998 series 2 vs ute 5litre, i think it has a getrag box but ive been told they have the dual mass flywheel so when you replace the clutch you have to replace the flywheel as well which cost big $$$ but in my qoute they said only the clutch needs to be replace?? anyone else have any ideas??
Thanks

I would have thought you would have the Getrag because its a series 2 but i am unsure if the V8's continued using the T5 longer then series 1 for some reason unlike the V6's which moved onto the getrag in the series 2. Have a look under your bonnet and see if you can see the master cylinder or look under the car at the gearbox and it should have getrag written on it. Also if its a manual and you have a wobbly shifter its a getrag :whistling

Hope it Helps
Matt.

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
As far as I know the 5 litres continued using the Borgwarner T5 upto and including the series 2 vs, and the getrag from the series 3 onwards. Easiest way to tell, getrag is hydraulic clutch and T5 is cable operated. As Jokerflingo has said above, check out the firewall next to the brake master cylinder. If there is an additional small round fluid reservoir next to the brake fluid reservoir its a getrag. Only the getrag box uses the dual mass flywheel and it will usually need replacing at the same time as you do the clutch plate/pressure plate as they cannot me machined like the solid flywheels (about 10mm of rotational movement either way is the service limit). Unfortunately they are pretty pricey.

Bode88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
thanks guys an yea shes a getrag alright looks like im up for the big mula :( never swap cars with your mum no matter how much fuel you save driving hers :(

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual
thanks guys an yea shes a getrag alright looks like im up for the big mula :( never swap cars with your mum no matter how much fuel you save driving hers :(

They are a great box up until the time when you need to replace it :bang: As with anything i guess :whistling

ryan_exedy

Show Your True Colours
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VS Commodore Ute S pack
Save your pennys

you can get a solid flywheel conversion kit from Exedy so you dont have to fork the the big bucks for the dual mass. Good thing about it is if you need to do another clutch replacement in the future, all you have to do is machine the flywheel instead of replacing it. :)

nath92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ UTE
i have 98 series 2 vs but in the v6
mine is getrag gearbox and dual flywheel
flywheel at the moment is squeeling and mechanic said needs replacing with clutch soon..
gave me a quote for $1500 including labour.
its worth getting heavy duty kits for around same price

if your quote is wrong they will find out pretty quick when they pull it apart.