Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Wheel alignment - Caster probs?

vs_berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Berlina
Hi Folks,

After getting sick of my VS pulling to the left, i got a wheel alignment. Upon receiving the car back, they told me the caster was out on the left hand side (if you are looking down at the car from above, the left wheel is further back from the front than the right is, I believe).
I was also told at the time that an aftermarket kit could be purchased to remedy this, but after checking with Holden (in Phillip, ACT, shout out to fellow Canberrians) they told me there's no such thing, I need to get it checked out at another place who should be able to fix it for me (Gentech, Mitchell, but, at what cost?)

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced similar probs, or know of a possible simpler solution (bushes etc). Bushes upon brief visual examination seem fine.
I'd rather not have my pants pulled down over this one, as I can forsee a large amount of $$$ being extracted from my bank account, via all orifices of my body.

I am the third owner of the car, and am starting to think the car may have had a bingle on front left corner, but there is no other evidence of that occuring.

Thanks y'all! ( geez, long post! )

S

Spike Percival

how far out is out?

caster can be adjusted by putting a shim / washer over the end of the tension rod.

Personally i wouldnt worry about it unless it is way out or it handles funny.

N

natsvr

OK i only know of a camber caster kit not sure how much though.

V

v8maniac

Whitline do make a adjustable castor bar setup not sure on the price but all their prices used to be on their site.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
The castor problem won't pull your car to the left on a straight square road it only makes your car more likely to follow a camber on the road from the middle to the side of the road that they put there to aid in water run off.
When ever I go to pedders for a wheel alignment(because I know the bloke who does it ) they tell me my z bars are bent.
Fell for that one and bought a new one....compared it to my old one and they were exactly the same....it was only the bushes that needed replacing....I did that and she came up perfect.
Took my vr to them and..... surprise surprise ...bent z bars I changed front bushes and castor came back to normal.
Not sure about adjustable z bars legallity for the road they weren't a few years ago.
When you buy new zbar from gmh the thread at the front is long so you can bring both wheels to the same castor so if your left one has excessive castor you add a shim to the other side so they are equal.

vs_berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Berlina
Thanks for the comments/help guys,
replaced four tyres, re-aligned (as the previous job was crap) including fixing camber (cannot remember exact figures, but right side was positive 1 or 2 degs), after test drive, she's all good again :D

Also, for those who may have similar noises from their vr/s, a scraping unhealthly sound on accelleration (particularly when cold) was the tranny fluid. A "choofing kit" was fitted, which comprised of deeped tranny pan, dipstick, pickup, filter, filter o ring, fluid etc, now no noise and a low repair cost (considering all the work that was done, but that's another story!)

If anyone in cranberra would like to know where to go, drop me a line i'd be happy to share my experience.
I would reccommend Gen-Tech (Mitchell), product knowledge is a valuble thing, and they seem to have quite a bit of it.