Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Wheel Bearings & Axle Bearings

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I think it actually can be swapped....someone previously on thuis forum pulled one apart and found that the ABS bit came off easily and the rest of the hub was identical to a non ABS hub but to remove the bearing required a heavy press. I've heard rumours that the bearing alone can be replaced but haven't been able to talk to the horses mouth.
I think when mine go I'll check the wreckers first and weigh up whats the best way to go.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
hako said:
I think it actually can be swapped....someone previously on thuis forum pulled one apart and found that the ABS bit came off easily and the rest of the hub was identical to a non ABS hub but to remove the bearing required a heavy press. I've heard rumours that the bearing alone can be replaced but haven't been able to talk to the horses mouth.
I think when mine go I'll check the wreckers first and weigh up whats the best way to go.

Good idea, might also go down that route if my front left hub packs up. Only thing with the wreckers is that you don't know how soon that one could pack up as well..... Still if its a lot less than $400, then it would be worth a shot.

POVRTY

building 5L VB TH 400
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm L98 caprice
if its new u know its good 4 another 150 000 kms. u will only have to do it 1nce then

304cci

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8
Which Wheel Bearing?

There is an easy way of telling what wheels bearing is noisey,
Drive at a safe speed where the wheel bearing is noisey, veer to the left and right, if you turn to the right and the noise dissapears then the right wheel bearing is worn, if you turn to the left and the noise dissapears then the left wheel bearing is worn. This is the same for front and rear wheel bearings, as for telling if it is the front or rear after you have found which side is worn is as simple as lstening if it sounds from the front susp. or rear suspensin, also if it is from the front you should be able to feel the groaning through the steering wheel.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
There is an easy way of telling what wheels bearing is noisey,
Drive at a safe speed where the wheel bearing is noisey, veer to the left and right, if you turn to the right and the noise dissapears then the right wheel bearing is worn, if you turn to the left and the noise dissapears then the left wheel bearing is worn. This is the same for front and rear wheel bearings, as for telling if it is the front or rear after you have found which side is worn is as simple as lstening if it sounds from the front susp. or rear suspensin, also if it is from the front you should be able to feel the groaning through the steering wheel.

Yeah thats how I found out the front one was buggered, except that I thought it was the opposite side. I'm pretty sure that its the back left axle bearing that is shot this time around, as the noise is fairly constant, and doesn't seem to change when I steer left or right. If I jack the back end of the car up and manually rotate the wheel whilst listening with a stethoscope or similar touching the bearing housing that might give a better indication...

Quite frustrating to say the least!

mattkaity

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs
just took off the rear axles

I took off the rear axle to change both wheel bearings and they got moved..
Does it matter what side they go on?

pete30nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Vr berlina 3.8 v6 , 1996 VS executive 3.8 v6
Hi guys, old post. But since 2012 has any one got more info about replacing the bearings in front hubs?
Im looking at either replacing my front hubs shortly, or maybe replacing bearings if there's more info.

Pete

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Front hub IS part of the bearing, so VERY simple, unbolt and bold up.
Probably a job you should not be doing if you have to ask...

pete30nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Vr berlina 3.8 v6 , 1996 VS executive 3.8 v6
Maybe I should of asked: are there any hubs that have replaceable bearing for the VR/vs ?

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
no there just one piece but so easy to fit 3 allen bolts after you remove the caliper and rotor and if it has abs, disconnect the the battery before you pull the plug on the hub