Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Wheel Bearings & Axle Bearings

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Hi All,

I've got a groaning noise coming from what I think is the back left of the car and it is really starting to get to me. I have already replaced the front right wheel bearing twice and right rear axle bearing, previously which cost a fortune, and the noise is not dissimilar to when the right rear axle bearing was buggered. I don't think that the noise is coming from the front left bearing, but is there any way of easily checking if it is buggered? Same goes for the left rear axle bearing, is there any way of easily checking if its stuffed? When I had the right rear bearing done it had to be broken off, ball bearings went everywhere, thats how stuffed it was.

Car has independant rear end, and ABS. Any input would be appreciated.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Thats strange having such bad luck with wheel bearings!. According to the book the front ones are to be replaced when there is a certain amount of play present (0.213mm). I'd imagine the rear ones, being attached to an axle, cannot be checked this way, so it gets back to noise, rough feel when turning wheel by hand or heat from the bearings. Maybe you could also use a stethoscope or length of hose and put it on the bearing housing whilst you turn the wheel. You're sure its not the linings on the drum handbrake worn or a pebble in there? Good Luck Harvs

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
hako said:
Thats strange having such bad luck with wheel bearings!. According to the book the front ones are to be replaced when there is a certain amount of play present (0.213mm). I'd imagine the rear ones, being attached to an axle, cannot be checked this way, so it gets back to noise, rough feel when turning wheel by hand or heat from the bearings. Maybe you could also use a stethoscope or length of hose and put it on the bearing housing whilst you turn the wheel. You're sure its not the linings on the drum handbrake worn or a pebble in there? Good Luck Harvs

Thanks Hako, is there any way of easily checking the drum handbrake? It does sound like its rubbing, the familiar 'sch sch sch sch' sound that 90% of commodores and falcons make, I hear that noise at low speed in the car park at work, but its a completely different sound to the groaning noise I hear normally. Right front bearing went at 125,000km, then again around 150,000. Right rear axle bearing lasted about 155,000km.... I thought they were meant to last a lot longer than that! $400 a pop for the front units is a killer!

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Apart from removing the disc and caliper which is an hours work, you could jack up the rear wheel, put the car in neutral and rotate the wheel by hand - if you hear the noise put the handbrake on one notch at a time and see if the sound changes...if it changes note then maybe its the linings rubbing. Also, when you rotate the wheel by hand you should feel some roughness if the bearing is shot.

Just for interest - what signs did you have that the front hubs were gone?

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
hako said:
Apart from removing the disc and caliper which is an hours work, you could jack up the rear wheel, put the car in neutral and rotate the wheel by hand - if you hear the noise put the handbrake on one notch at a time and see if the sound changes...if it changes note then maybe its the linings rubbing. Also, when you rotate the wheel by hand you should feel some roughness if the bearing is shot.

Just for interest - what signs did you have that the front hubs were gone?

In regards to the front hubs, was almost the same sound, but when you would steer to the right, ie turning right around a roundabout, the noise would disappear, turning left would increase the sound, as more pressure was being placed on the wheel. I had the mechanic pull the complete assembly apart, and a number of the bearings were pitted, and the bit they sit in was scored quite badly. As to why the second one went so quickly, I have no idea.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I have that sound now out of my front hubs (at 170,000km) and in my case it is coming from the brake disc rubbing against the pads on slow tight corners - like in carparpks going uphill on full lock. I don't want to pay $400 each side !!!!
so I'm hoping its still in tolerance. Reason I figure it is the pads rubbing is that it first became evident after I put new green pads on.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
hako said:
I have that sound now out of my front hubs (at 170,000km) and in my case it is coming from the brake disc rubbing against the pads on slow tight corners - like in carparpks going uphill on full lock. I don't want to pay $400 each side !!!!
so I'm hoping its still in tolerance. Reason I figure it is the pads rubbing is that it first became evident after I put new green pads on.

Yeah, the noise I was experiencing was happening all the time. It's a shame that they are a sealed bearing unit... so its a case of no repairs, just bin it and install the new one... with a big hole burnt into your wallet!

POVRTY

building 5L VB TH 400
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm L98 caprice
its only $400 a unit if u have abs. its alot less if u dont

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
POVRTY said:
its only $400 a unit if u have abs. its alot less if u dont

Yes, that is correct. Shame that the ABS bit can't be simply bolted on to the other unit...