Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Window not rolling up straight

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Alrighty. So I had a search and a read and it looked like @losh1971 had a similar issue but following the thread I couldn't make sense of a fix.

Car has manual wind up front windows.

Basically I replaced my bailey channels in the driver's door as they were gone completely.
What's happening is, as I wind up the window it's wanting to tilt ever so slightly forward like its catching on something. It's then jumping out the rear bailey channel and wedging itself from wanting to go up. (Rubber is rolling under)
If it wedges itself it would pop out of the white window reg slider, I have replaced these with spares I had (one was very sloppy)

If I pull the window back a bit it goes fine And doesnt catch.
The window does have a good 5mm play forward and back throughout its entire movement. Which is the same as the passenger side.

Now the VS has no adjustments (front channel has a small bit which did help minutely.
Probably 10 years ago we redid the rivets for the regulator. These have no slop.

I've sprayed whatever lubricants I have in the shed on the channels to help which does something.

With all the trims off it goes up fine, but when I put the trims on (more so the top of the door trim that sits on the window) it has a hard time.
It does looks like this was "reglued" at some stage so could be the issue making it tight.
I've got it back together without that final trim bit (fixing it with some loctite 406 as removed some other goop) and its alright, but I'll give it a day or 5 before making a final call as I'll put that trim back in after the adhesive fixes itself.

Any suggestions?
Is it time to officially retire the vehicle?
Do I just get a new door?
Racecar spec with mesh instead?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
I get this from time to time, I'll have to come back to you on what I did.

We're thr white blocks iffy on both sides or just drivers?

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
I havent had the passenger side off for a while so am not sure. That was a wiggle front to back while in a few spots to see how stiff it was.
The drivers has always been problematic and have got it down to an art removing the trims to get to them.
I dont think the channels, rubbers and all that had been done since it was new, and its copped alot of use and abuse in that time.
Id say the old ones were so well worn they had no friction to some degree.

In terms of the white reg sliders.
The front drivers one was alright (it was a replacement one at some stage) and the rear drivers one i replaced today as i noticed it was cracked.

Im going to leave the inner Window Trim off for a day or 2 and see how it goes.
It appears that mustve had a bit of extra pressure which was enough to cause it to drag at the front and pop out of the rear channel just.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The final fix on mine was to file out one of the rear mounting points and fit a bolt. IIRC I elongated the lowest mounting point downwards. This made the glass tilt backwards more. I replaced channels and while all that helped it wasn't until I elongated the hole that the problem was fixed for good.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Well it looks like its working alright again.
Lubricated the channels with a few sprays, might do it again at some stage.

And it looks like it was the inner window trim causing issues and having enough friction to drag the front of the window.
Appears to have been repaired by someone long ago with a no more gaps/silicone type of adhesive which wasnt alligned properly.
Id say that with the new channels being a bit tight and not lubed that it was enough out of allignment on the inner trim to grab.

No extra drilling required.

Did find a place that sells inner door skins (the clear stuff) in the process though
Australian Door Cards
Might have to get some to fix up the ones as a future things.