Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS wont idle or run

ausrs

Reaction score
Members Ride
00 SS M6/79 chev Monza
Ok i have looked everywhere but found no help
hoping someone here can help me
I have a VS berlina irs and have owned it for about 4 weeks ,car has ran perfect up until monday
car started spluttering and would not run after about 1 hour i managed to get the car back to my house but it will go no further
when i start the car up it sounds like it has a huge cam in it but it coughs and splutters ,backfiring through the airbox ,when i put it in drive it dies :(

thought i had a fuel problem so i dropped the tank ,cleaned it fitted a new fuel pump and filter ..started the car up while still on the stands and it ran perfect ,thought i had fixed t he problem

NOW when i jack the back of the car up so the wheels are just off of the ground the car runs perfect cannot fault it at all YET the moment i lower the car to the ground the car starts doing the cough splutter and die when putting it in to drive

HELP i do not know what else to try at the moment :(
i did the code thing and it gave me a code 12..this is frustrating the life out of me !

Last edited:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'd try the codes again - it will give 3 lots of "12" then spits the fault codes out.
My first impression is that somehow your plug leads have been swapped around. Do some detective work and try and think of everything you've done to the car in the weeks before it started giving trouble.....any electrical work? etc. Exhaust not blocked by someone shoving an apple/tennis ball up the pipe?
Good Luck.

ausrs

Reaction score
Members Ride
00 SS M6/79 chev Monza
OK
more news
car is not mine it is a friends car ..............he washed the engine bay on sunday so i found out and the car started playing up on sunday afternoon
today replaced the coil pack had an ecu but it was incorrect :( still no better will pick up an ecu on saturday and go from there
any advice from there ?

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Change the coil packs and the plate underneath them if you change plugs or leads you must do them at the same time because if you have a bad plug it will stuff your new leads and vice-versa!
Check the plugs for little black lines running up and down them (track marks)
and if you had crap in the tank don't forget to replace the fuel filter!

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Pull the coil packs off and put them in the sun for a few hours to dry out properly. You could also try it in the oven set to about 80deg...no hotter and leave for an hour. Also disconnect every electrical connection - coils, dfi module, oil pressure switch and all plug leads - shake the connectors to remove excess water and spray with WD40 - put the plug leads in the sun to dry completely. The prime suspect will be the connector under the DFI module so get that as dry as possible. ECU should be OK as it's in the cabin.
If your mate used a gurney to pressure clean he may also have saturated the paper air filter which will effectively strangle the intake.
If you can get every last bit of moisture out of all the connectors you should be right. Good Luck.

ausrs

Reaction score
Members Ride
00 SS M6/79 chev Monza
fortunately he only used a hose ..........thank god !!! coil packs and dfi module have been changed
ecu is the only thing that has not been changed

ausrs

Reaction score
Members Ride
00 SS M6/79 chev Monza
it also does not explain why when you jack the car up at the back it runs correctly !weird i know !

ausrs

Reaction score
Members Ride
00 SS M6/79 chev Monza
after trying an ecm in it today not much changed
however we are changing the CAS tomorrow as it did start up well and died when it got hot
maybe the CAS dieing was just random and had nothing to do with the washing the engine bay got !

ausrs

Reaction score
Members Ride
00 SS M6/79 chev Monza
all fixed
It was the Maf sensor