Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS wont start. Fuel Pump?

wiseman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute 3.8
My 98 VS ute died on me today. It wont fire up, just turns over. I cant here the fuel pump when i turn on the key. My mate took the fuel hose off the filter, and no fuel, with the key turned on.
I want to get a new fuel pump and change it over. I take it the fuel pump is on the top of the tank?, so i have to remove my ute liner, and the pannel covering the fuel tank.

Can anyone give me any further intructions, or tips on how to change the fuel pump?

Thanks

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Double check it is the fuel pump that's gone. Check the relay....also hotwire the pump to see if it runs....or thump under the tank to give the pump a jolt - this usually starts them up again.
Check the immobiliser light below the wireless goes out when you switch the reds on.

westbad

Reaction score
Members Ride
fuel pump is inside the tank, you have to take the tank out of the tub to replace it on a ute, i did a ute one a month or so ago, 2 hours should see it done. Pretty easy to do but tank defo has to come out on a ute.

wiseman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute 3.8
Double check it is the fuel pump that's gone. Check the relay....also hotwire the pump to see if it runs....or thump under the tank to give the pump a jolt - this usually starts them up again.
Check the immobiliser light below the wireless goes out when you switch the reds on.

Done all that. Relay is good, (swaped em around)
the immobiliser light goes out when i crank it over
I got a new pump today. I will have a go on the weekend. I have to take the ute liner out.
Then i was told to check if i have power going to the fuel pump. If i have, then it should be faulty pump.
If not, well, it's a 57KM tow into town to have it fixed.

wiseman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute 3.8
fuel pump is inside the tank, you have to take the tank out of the tub to replace it on a ute, i did a ute one a month or so ago, 2 hours should see it done. Pretty easy to do but tank defo has to come out on a ute.

Why does the tank have to come out of the bay? I thought fuel pump access was from the top of the tank? man, i have 50 litres of fuel in it, how do i get that out?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
the immobiliser light goes out when i crank it over

Then i was told to check if i have power going to the fuel pump. If i have, then it should be faulty pump.
If not, well, it's a 57KM tow into town to have it fixed.

Just a few points - the immobiliser light should go out when you turn the reds on....not only when it's cranking.
You can syphon the fuel out either via the filler or the pump outlet. If you have access to an electric fuel pump like an old SU, you could use that to speed things up.
Westbad knows his stuff so if he says the tank must come out, then it must come out.
Check the EFI relay
Violet is the +12v wire at the pump and black is the -12v wire....so if you apply +12v to the violet wire the pump should spin if OK.
Good Luck.

wiseman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute 3.8
Just a few points - the immobiliser light should go out when you turn the reds on....not only when it's cranking.
You can syphon the fuel out either via the filler or the pump outlet. If you have access to an electric fuel pump like an old SU, you could use that to speed things up.
Westbad knows his stuff so if he says the tank must come out, then it must come out.
Check the EFI relay
Violet is the +12v wire at the pump and black is the -12v wire....so if you apply +12v to the violet wire the pump should spin if OK.
Good Luck.

Thanks Hako
Yes, i should have said, the immobiliser light goes out, when the ignition is on,(dash lights on)
I will check the EFI relay, (can i swap it with another one?)
Rather than to 'hotwire' the pump, Can i test if there is power to the pump, by connecting a test lamp to the +12v Violet, and earth out the test light, and have someone turn on the key, and if the test lamp lights up, then there is power. I understand it will only light up for a few seconds, when the key is first turned on, then comes on again when cranking begins.

PS. this ute is really starting to piss me off, when it hit 200,000KM, things have gone down hill since then. I had starting problems.
So, NEW DFI unit, (old one blew, lost spark on 2 cyl), second hand coil pack, New spark plug leads, and new NGK Plugs. I also have a new crank angle sensor, to be fiited.
Now this SH#T !

wiseman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute 3.8
fuel pump

After searching the forum, and reading about fuel pumps, i now know why the tank has to come out, (dah) cause the access for the fuel pump is on the side of the tank.

So, after reading so many posts about what a prick of a job it is, im having it towed to town on Monday, and pay someone eles to do it.
Im joining the NRMA tomorrow, so i should get a free tow into town in a few days
Joining Roadside Service, will be cheaper than paying for a one off tow.
Im nearly 60KM from Town.

westbad

Reaction score
Members Ride
After searching the forum, and reading about fuel pumps, i now know why the tank has to come out, (dah) cause the access for the fuel pump is on the side of the tank.

So, after reading so many posts about what a prick of a job it is, im having it towed to town on Monday, and pay someone eles to do it.
Im joining the NRMA tomorrow, so i should get a free tow into town in a few days
Joining Roadside Service, will be cheaper than paying for a one off tow.
Im nearly 60KM from Town.

Its an easy job to do mate, if your handy with your tools you will have no problems.
yep access to the fuel pump is on the side of the tank nearest to the cab, all you have to do is remove the inspection cover in the tub and you will see the tank, remove the filler neck, undo the fuel lines, lable them so you know where they go, one will pump fuel to the engine and the 2nd is a return line, important you dont get them the wrong way round.
4 bolts hold the tank in place undo them and lift the tank out.

Once the tank is out undo the small bolts that hold the pump in the tank then you have to twist the pump around on its self to get it out of the swirl pot and out of the tank, be carefull not to dislodge the return line thats connected to the bottom of the pump and in to the swirl pot (or your car will die when cornering under 1/4 of a tank) you get the return line off the bottom of the pump once out of the tank by inserting 2 small allen keys or small metal rods etc in to the little holes in the top of the black thing that connects it to the pump, once you push 2 allen keys in to it the return line will simply slide off. No need to cut it off and reconnect it.

Hope that made sense!! Then repeat in reverse and your done.

Its a pretty simple job mate, why pay someone else to do it :beer chug:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Thanks Hako

Rather than to 'hotwire' the pump, Can i test if there is power to the pump, by connecting a test lamp to the +12v Violet, and earth out the test light, and have someone turn on the key, and if the test lamp lights up, then there is power. I understand it will only light up for a few seconds, when the key is first turned on, then comes on again when cranking begins.

PS. this ute is really starting to piss me off, when it hit 200,000KM, things have gone down hill since then. I had starting problems.
So, NEW DFI unit, (old one blew, lost spark on 2 cyl), second hand coil pack, New spark plug leads, and new NGK Plugs. I also have a new crank angle sensor, to be fiited.
Now this SH#T !

Your idea is better and simpler than mine!
Re the ute starting to piss you off - remember that if you trade it in, you are just buying someone else's car that they sold because it was pissing them off too.
And like Westbad says, the job is not rocket science and something you could easily do.
Good Luck.