Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs wont start

jmorrow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Was driving home on open road yesterday and suddenly after 3 hours of driving a rattling noise came from under the car and then lost all power and cut out. The cars dne 140k and checked the water and oil and it was all fine. When i went to start it all that happend was a tick sound once and the engine wouldnt turn over. My mate went and got a new battery and we tried it but the same thng happend. We called a road side assistant and his conclusion was the engines seized as he tried to crank the motor over with a wrench but it wouldnt turn at all. In the end its been towed back to holden for them to look at tomorrow but i told the guy at holden about what the roadside assistant said and he said theres noway you would be able to crank the motor over by hand anyway. Just wanted to know what you guys think as i just bought the car from an old guy whos the second owner nd owned it since 20k and kept the car immaculate and seemed like a legit deal. I read the sticky about the alternator cable but would think that if a new battery was put in it would turn over. Thanks.

fastvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
Hey mate,
Yes you can turn motor over by hand using the bolt on the harmonic balancer. Unfortunately it does sound to me like a seized motor, these things seem to be happening quite a bit lately. I would say might be a bearing on the crank if it had coolant and oil
Michael

zelby11

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
SCOOTER
Usually if the main rear bearing craps itself then the motor will cease itself,but it might be the starter motor,sometimes the brush gets jamed and what you have to do is hit it with a piece of wood while someone else turns the key to start the car,but you have to both do that at the same time.

jmorrow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
oh cheers thanks guys, guess il just have to wait and see what holden says. i only had the car for 3 hours so i rang the guy i bought it off and luckily hes going to give me my money back if its seized. just hope its somethng small because its in such good condition

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
If it wont turn over by hand with a large socket on the crank, then I agree with a siezed bearing.

Did the oil lamp come on? Is the lamp working?

I dont think a starter motor would cause it to cut out, unless the nose came off and jammed the ring grear.

Unfortunatley these engines have a oil pickup that is so small it is ridiculous (same with V8, Daewoo, Astra).
Unless the oil is changed often (no services skipped) the pickup mesh becomes blocked and starves the motor of oil. This normally causes a bigend bearing failure. (V8 can break the front off the cam!)

I hope for your sake this is not the case as with 140k on it I would assume it would be a fairly tidy unit.

jmorrow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
yea you guys were right, holden said somethng has gone wrong deep in the motor, but the previous owner is talking to holden about puting another engine in, so all is good haha

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
what did you pay for it in the 1st place? got any pics?
yea you guys were right, holden said somethng has gone wrong deep in the motor, but the previous owner is talking to holden about puting another engine in, so all is good haha

jmorrow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
$3700. nar nt yet bt il get it back on thursday and will upload some