Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS_6HBD

Paradyn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS HSV
Can I fit a 6HBD trans to a VS commodore and if I can what do I need to do. I purchased the trans thinking it was a 4L60E but the guy delivered to my home and he did see what car it would be going into. I have had my trans recon by a trans guy who told me he was the guy who did all the HDT trans for holden before HSV but he was a snake paid him $2000 and he did nothing the trans was the same after it was so to be fitted. Did some reading about this trans I purchased and it not a good one for a VS. Can I do anything to make it fit and work because all the money I have spent on this trans, not a lot left

Last edited by a moderator:

Paradyn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS HSV
I have read that a 6HBD is fitted to later model VS's than my own. What would you need to do to fit a 6HBD to a early model VS SS. I have spent some much money trying to fix the one that is in it, one trans guy recondition the one in my car but it stills slips, purchased a second hand one being told it was out of a 5lt statesman but not a 4L60 which I have and at the time I didn't know it was different from mine. I brought the car brand new and after an accident in 1997 when a lady run up the back of me and the car has never been the same sent getting it back from the repairer, seats damaged need repair when the seats were in good condition. Spent thousands on the car after it was repaired. If anyone knows please let me know. Thanks

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
What is the code on the trans currently in the car? Fairly sure 6HBD was for the 1996 model so I see no reason it won't interchange with what you have now (assuming it is the original trans from the car). And yes, it is a 4L60e transmission, it was the only auto transmission that Holden used in that model.

Paradyn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS HSV
Thanks for letting me know I wasn't sure what the trans come out of because the guy who sold it to me told me it was out of statesmen and when I saw him again he said he never told me that, so now I don't know what it come out off.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Please dont post new threads on the same subject!

Holden used the same automatic transmissions from VN onward. Back then they were known as T700r4. At some stage in the early 90's GM changed their naming system for their transmission and th T700r4 became known as a 4L60.

When the VR model Commodore came out the transmission became electronically controlled so the name became 4L60e.

5HBD and 6HBD are just model specific variants of the 4L60e used in the Commodores.

5HBD is 1995 build and used with th V8 engine. 5HDD is the 1995 build and used with the V6 engine.
6HBD is a 1996 build, V8 variant, so on and so forth...
GM used the 4L60e transmission in fairly much all makes and models in the 90's with lots of variations so they need a code to differentiate the various transmissions.

As far as I am aware, HSV did not make any modifications to automatic transmissions in these models, its was only the manual cars that received the 6speed upgrade where Holden had the standard 5 speed.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
And just to add a tad more info a 4, 5, 6, 7HBD actually means it's a V8 Floor shift variant, whilst HCD with a 4,5,6,7 etc. in front means it's a Column Shift variant. The first number at the beginning designates which year the trans was made, eg. 7HBD means it's a 1997 made V8 Floor shift transmission while the 6HBD signifies it's a 1996 made version of much the same transmission. If you read the Service Communication books for each year you'll notice that each year there were modifications made as running changes to the on going 4L60e Transmission, so the later the trans the more refined it was.(in theory)

HDD is a Floor shift V6 variant and will have a year number at the front of the lettered designation.