Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vsii Ss

Ms.VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII SS
Chookah said:
Nice and tidy :)
Future plans?

LPG Conversion is coming soon and to make up for the minor loss in hp, the heads will be shaved so the compression can be lifted, I think the max it can go up is 13:1 (correct me if I'm wrong), so I'm looking at 11:1 to start with and see how it handles that, I'm waiting for more info on water injection with the LPG, so if thats suitable I will have that done as well. As for other mods, I'm not sure, I have to have the extractors fitted for sure, but since I decided on the LPG conversion I haven't really thought about anything else. I did have plans for a small cam etc, but now I'll just wait and see what the conversion brings, but I'm sure I will get the need for more hp and go from there. I do want to make it a little prettier with a respray, shiny wheels and tinting etc, but hp is my main concern atm.

Chookah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Wagon
i'm getting my vr ss converted to LPG (not dual fuel).
If you run straight lpg and have it properly tuned, you shouldnt lose power at all, especially since lpg has an octane rating of around 110.

www.gasresearch.com.au advertise a 'voodoo camshaft', but i'm not sure if thats only suited to the older 308's. I'm ringing this afternoon, i'll let you know all i find out about the LPG.

I know yella terra have LPG lifters also...

Ms.VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII SS
Chookah said:
i'm getting my vr ss converted to LPG (not dual fuel).
If you run straight lpg and have it properly tuned, you shouldnt lose power at all, especially since lpg has an octane rating of around 110.

www.gasresearch.com.au advertise a 'voodoo camshaft', but i'm not sure if thats only suited to the older 308's. I'm ringing this afternoon, i'll let you know all i find out about the LPG.

I know yella terra have LPG lifters also...

Sweet, thank ya.

Chookah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Wagon
Well I contacted Autogas car clinic at nundah today (since they're the local installer listed at the gas research site).

I was given three different options.
  1. ~$2100: Cheap and nasty budget system. Dual fuel
  2. $2590: Premium install. Dual fuel
  3. $3590: Gas research vapour injection system. Dual fuel.

According to the guy on the phone, it seems as though there are no major benefits to be made by running it on straight LPG. I mentioned that I heard there was no power loss on straight LPG and he wouldnt confirm that.

However, performance wise i've been advised to go with the vapour injection system. It too is dual fuel, but I will also receive an increase in power in both the lower and upper range. I didnt go into detail with him on the phone and there was a lot more I had ment to ask (ie if there is 2 seperate computers or if its tuned to a 'happy middle' for both).

My over cautious mother is insisting on a full RACQ inspection before I get any of this done, but she's paying for it so i'm not overly concerned. I'll keep you all updated on the progress.
Come install day, I intend on asking for a copy of the dyno readings from before and after the conversion also.

Ms.VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII SS
Chookah said:
Well I contacted Autogas car clinic at nundah today (since they're the local installer listed at the gas research site).

I was given three different options.
  1. ~$2100: Cheap and nasty budget system. Dual fuel
  2. $2590: Premium install. Dual fuel
  3. $3590: Gas research vapour injection system. Dual fuel.

According to the guy on the phone, it seems as though there are no major benefits to be made by running it on straight LPG. I mentioned that I heard there was no power loss on straight LPG and he wouldnt confirm that.

However, performance wise i've been advised to go with the vapour injection system. It too is dual fuel, but I will also receive an increase in power in both the lower and upper range. I didnt go into detail with him on the phone and there was a lot more I had ment to ask (ie if there is 2 seperate computers or if its tuned to a 'happy middle' for both).

My over cautious mother is insisting on a full RACQ inspection before I get any of this done, but she's paying for it so i'm not overly concerned. I'll keep you all updated on the progress.
Come install day, I intend on asking for a copy of the dyno readings from before and after the conversion also.

Haha, after reading your post yesterday, I had a look at the gasresearch site and called the guy at Nundah. He tried to convince me to go DualFuel aswell, but after some reading and advice from ppl in the "know" as far as performance vehicles are concerned, I have decided to definately go for straight LPG with the VapourInjection. If you are running dual fuel with this system, the car will have to be re-tuned everytime you switch between the two as it is specifically tuned to suit the gas, not to mention the fuel going stale in the tank if it's not used. The VapourInjection System comes with it's own computer which as I understand is sort of like a "piggyback" computer that comunicates with the exsisting computer.
There is one other VapourInjection System that I have been told about, supposed to be the **** apparently, I'm waiting for the info on that to come thru, with comparisons between the two, economy, hp gains and install costs, I'll post the details on that when I get it. I just can't wait to get it all done and out of the way, I thought getting the cash to do it was going to be the hard part, it's making the decision on what one to use and where to get it done and this and that blahblahblah.