Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT 3.8 Inlet Manifold Gasket Replacement - recommendations?

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Could still be a inlet gasket though, heads is only 8 bolts away on each from doing the valley gasket, so not hard once you get to that stage. just change it anyway, you will know as you go, you will see where the gasket has blown, if not, check the heads. My symptoms were oil in the radiator. Exhaust gases could bleed in to the coolant from the inlet gasket possible......?

Simonn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S pack m5
thanks we replaced the oil today. there were no signs of water in it which is good. We also flushed out the radiaor which was really brown and sludgy. This could possibly be becuase of the holden tablets that holden uses (car has been serviced at holden it whole life) topped it up with fresh stuff and will see how it goes now.

Simonn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S pack m5
ok I have driven the car problaby 50kms in total since radiaor flushing. I have checked coolant level and it has dropped a few cm's below filler cap. We put a pressure tester onto it pumped it up to 140kpa and no drop what so ever. If the inlet manfold gasket was leaking sureley it would come up on the pressure tester wouldent it?. We are thinking it may be a faulty radiator cap. So will try a new one in the next few days and keep you posted. Read somewhere that there is a step by step manifold gasket replacement on the net somewhere. If anyone knows could you please PM it to me. I want to get familiar with whats involved just incase it turn out it need changing.

thankyou

mlinton74

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Berlina Ser2 Wagon
After market Radiator caps a big no no

One strong tip I must stress.... please do not buy after market radiator caps for your VT Commodore!!! They are built differently to the genuine article and will leak water when motor is warming up.

Do yourself a favour and buy a genuine cap.... I learnt the hard way!!!

Puffwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hectic VN Berlina 5.0
mate it cost $50 for an intake manifold gasket set. $15 for the silicone for the corners. Swap it and be done. It wouldn't be far from stuffed anyway if it aint, but it sounds like it is.

purekiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore
i got a radiator cap from repco a month or so ago and it seems to be fine

MaverickAus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II Equipe
mate it cost $50 for an intake manifold gasket set. $15 for the silicone for the corners. Swap it and be done. It wouldn't be far from stuffed anyway if it aint, but it sounds like it is.

Where did you get the gasket set for $50?

nadeemrajabali

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive V6 Sedan
Electric Fault after Changing Inlet Manifold Gasket

Thanks, I did my manifold gasket and everthing went Ok,

Now when I drive my car for 7 to 9 Kilometer, electric fault light shows up, and if I switch off the engine and re-start it instantly it goes off and appears again after 3 to 4 kilometer.

can anyone help me please, if with some picture.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Go the MACE gasket. And anything else you need get from holden as they dont sell it as a kit they only sell them individually so its not that bad.