Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT 3.8 Won't get up to temperature

pickletime

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Turd
Hey guys,

Just wondering if you have had an issues getting your 3.8's up to temperature.

Mine sits one bar below halfway

It has a new thermostat in it now and I'm thinking maybe the temperature sensor has gone funny, I have tested the thermostat (195f/91c) put it in a cup of water boiled from the jug and it didn't open, but when held in a pot over an element until the temp heats up a bit it opens fine - so does not open early.

The fans don't operate at all times - they only come on after driving for a while and then stopping and staying still with the engine running - so I assume that the sensor that these are running off is operating correctly.

What else could it be other than temp sensor?

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
My vs sits on a quarter until you stop and start in traffic, then it might hit halfway. Gotta sit idling for a bit to hit 3/4 and kick the fan in.

What's wrong with just under halfway? I'd be wondering why it was that hot if that's what mine ran at.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
My VS ecotec sits around a quarter on the highway and around town,but goes up to half way when sitting in traffic idling,then the fan kicks in and takes it back to a quarter again. If your temp gauge is getting up over a quarter,it should be fine.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Hey guys,

Just wondering if you have had an issues getting your 3.8's up to temperature.

Mine sits one bar below halfway

It has a new thermostat in it now and I'm thinking maybe the temperature sensor has gone funny, I have tested the thermostat (195f/91c) put it in a cup of water boiled from the jug and it didn't open, but when held in a pot over an element until the temp heats up a bit it opens fine - so does not open early.

The fans don't operate at all times - they only come on after driving for a while and then stopping and staying still with the engine running - so I assume that the sensor that these are running off is operating correctly.

What else could it be other than temp sensor?

It sound perfectly normal to me.

moose man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII
Put a thermometer into the open radiator and watch the temperature as it warms up. You need to know actual temp, not gauge temp.

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab

pickletime

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Turd
It sits at a quater

If the ECU is programmed like other cars Ive worked with it will be running rich to try and heat the engine to optimal operating temperature so worse gas consumption

If the engines not running at optimal temperature the lubricants will not be as effective in protecting the engine either

Although my VY V8 didnt get up to Temp either - maybe its just Holdens in general

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
mine just sits below the thermostat icon and never moves from there hot with air cond on or cold days

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
same here my v8 never goes over the lowest bar.even on 40 plus days with the a/c on...the lower the better
mine just sits below the thermostat icon and never moves from there hot with air cond on or cold days

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
It sits at a quater

If the ECU is programmed like other cars Ive worked with it will be running rich to try and heat the engine to optimal operating temperature so worse gas consumption

If the engines not running at optimal temperature the lubricants will not be as effective in protecting the engine either

Although my VY V8 didnt get up to Temp either - maybe its just Holdens in general
um a quater is normal operating temp