Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT 304 Accelerator Cable Replacement.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Hi all,
Going to replace the accelerator cable on the SS today.
I'm just wondering if there are any tricks of the trade as I've never done this before.
I am familiar with the throttle body end, such as removal, replacing and adjusting, but not he other end.
Is it ok to un plug the three plugs (picture below) just above where the cable enters the cabin, as it will allow better access to the grommet?

Thanks all......
Photo100.jpg

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
All good.....All done....Easy.

Thanks any way....

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Because of the custom manifold and throttle body and the cable not being long enough, they had the cable running under the manifold
which caused a lot of sharp bends in it. It wasn't smooth to operated, it kept grabbing, plus the adjusting thread on the T/B was stripped and kept slipping.
I re ran the new cable on top of the manifold at the back.
Not entirely happy, as a longer cable would be better to go around the back of the manifold, but they are asking $110.00
just to lengthen it by 150mm.
It's ok for now and at least I've got a smooth accelerator.

RavenSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.0 litre
how easy is easy? i'll be doing this over the weekend so wouldn't mind a bit of a heads up on anything. tbh, i haven't even really looked under the dash, so it all may be self explanatory when i look at it.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Easy as....Took me about 15 minutes.
Disconnect the cable from the throttle body and the adjusting bracket first.
Then crawl under the dash and pry off the yellow plastic keeper (you will see it on the new cable) with a screw driver from the top of the pedal assembly and remove the cable from the pedal assembly.
From the engine bay side, grab the cable where it goes through the fire wall and just pull it out.
You may feel a bit of resistance, but just give it a yank and it will come out.
Re fitting is the reverse.
When re fitting, attach the cable to the pedal first and then to the T/B.
Adjust the free play of the cable at the T/B to the manufacturers specifications. (10 to 15 mm)
When you put the grommet of the new cable back through the fire wall, put a little silastic around the grommet just to seal it in the hole.
Be careful not to get the silastic on or inside the cable.

Last edited:

Chaserousey

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 vt commodore
How do you re adjust the accelerator cable?! I'm freaking out, my car is idling at nearly 2000 revs and I dunno what to do ay

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
If you see the second picture above, there are 2 adjusting nuts on the cable.
To loosen the cable, back off the back nut and tighten the front one (closest to the throttle body).
This will extend the cable assembly through the bracket and closer to the throttle body, therefore loosening the cable.

To tighten, back off the front nut and tighten the back one.

Be careful NOT to over tighten the nuts, as you may strip the plastic thread.

waynethomson

Reaction score
Members Ride
series 3 ute
To loosen the cable, back off the back nut and tighten the front one (closest to the throttle body).
This will extend the cable assembly through the bracket and closer to the throttle body, therefore loosening the cable.

VERY TRUE. the plastic adjusting thingy broke in half on mine when tightening back up

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Throttle cable needs to have 10-15mm of play according to the VR/VS service manual. I'd be surprised if the VT was any different. Can't find the reference in the VT/VX Service manual at this point in time. Will keep looking when I get a minute.

VT is the same "Adjust the outer cable lock nuts so that the inner cable is tensioned with a deflection of 10mm to 15mm without moving the throttle linkage from the idle stop".

Last edited: