Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT 304 Cammed? Can Oil go off with cold?

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Looked fine to me when I watched your video you first video. Was waiting for someone else to comment first though.
What does the service manual say?

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I just checked 2 manuals and also could not find a recommended deflection.
How many mm would you say you have from:
A) resting to pressed in fully
B) pulled out to pressed in.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
That's pretty normal - there's no adjustment anyway. They're pretty loose from standard, and there's good contact all the way around each sprocket so no real chance of it skipping.

Earlier 308's had a chain 'tensioner' or slider which was actually on the wrong side for a tensioner, which holden later decided wasn't necessary.

You can buy gear sets that decrease chain slack so that cam timing is more precise. Using .002" undersize cam bearings also helps to take up some timing chain slack. I wouldn't worry about it.

nes138

Reaction score
Members Ride
FC HOLDEN with 5LT V8 (VT)
Hmm I estimate 12mm using the callipers. I also turned the engine backwards a small bit and then turned correct direction until I saw the rotor button turn. I estimate engine turned 6 degrees turning (using iphone level;)) before I saw the rotor button turn.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
12mm is a bit... a new chain's cheap and may take up some of that slack? I got one for under $20 from nason.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
A good new set you struggle to get the sprocket on the cam they are so tight they loosen up pretty quick but 12mm seams a lot of slack

nes138

Reaction score
Members Ride
FC HOLDEN with 5LT V8 (VT)
12mm is a bit... a new chain's cheap and may take up some of that slack? I got one for under $20 from nason.

I might try that measurement again, but think I'll just get a new chain for that price!